Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Gear for VE

ssavage

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 9.5
ive got a VE SSV 6 speed auto and in the next few weeks im getting full exhaust system with OTR and a dyno tune and want to do a shift kit and diff gears but i am unsure of what gears to get i was thinking 3.7s.....does this sound right? (the car is a daily driver)

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
3.7's are from a clubsport ... maybe a little too low gearing for an every day driver with an auto. You'd be better going for a set of 3.45's from a manual SS.

Cheapest way is to purchase a new crown wheel and pinion for $600 rather than double the price for a complete centre.

Cheapest I've seen is here: VE 3.45 CROWN WHEEL & PINION GEAR SETS

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Depends on your daily drive, but I have 3.7's on my daily driver and it is fine.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
I had 3.7's in the Calais (6spd auto) and first was very short but on the flip side it was very quick off the mark.

I have since changed it back to the standard (2.92) due to getting rid of the car shortly but if I were to do it all over again I would have gone 3.45's which seems to be the nice sweet spot for them as already suggested.

AgreSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hey guys I know this is a bit of an old thread but is 2.92 standard gears in ssv auto and is 3.45 from ss manual and good match with auto.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
You'll have a 2.92 in there. I've got a 3.27 which i personally think is perfect for the autos but 3.45 is the more popular choice. Get a complete diff, makes it easy for the swap. You can do it yourself in a couple of hours.

AgreSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Cheers, I know of a complete diff from ss manual ute for sale only done 1300km so will give that a go.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
You'll have a 2.92 in there. I've got a 3.27 which i personally think is perfect for the autos but 3.45 is the more popular choice. Get a complete diff, makes it easy for the swap. You can do it yourself in a couple of hours.
A couple of hours? I recall someone saying changing the diff in a VE was a massive pain as you needed to drop all the rear suspension, now this is just all here say hence why I didn't bother with it and just got it done by someone else.

SSV-AD

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 Ve SSV Sedan
hey guys, got a question.. ive got a 2010 ve ssv manual.. my diff ratio is a 3.45 right?? if so is there much "noticeable" gain going to a 3.7?? thanks.