Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff gear help

Dan the Holden man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina s2
Hey people need help I've a got a vx commodore skid car and I've been given a new diff gear and pinion 323 ratio instead of the stock one but my problem is it's got 0578 on the new one and I checked the one in the car and its 0575 will I be able to still make this work or not

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No. The 0578 has a larger pinion and sits further back in the housing. TBH, I don't think going from 3.08 to 3.23 would be worth the effort regardless. For a burnout car you want wheel speed, really you want 4.11 gears or similar.

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
really you want 4.11 gears or similar
Other way. 4.11 gears will slow the wheels down.
He needs a ratio less than 3.08 for faster wheel speed. Something like 2.78. This was available in early holdens, not sure about commodores.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
He needs a ratio less than 3.08 for faster wheel speed. Something like 2.78. This was available in early holdens, not sure about commodores.
2.78s, he would need a ton of HP and torque to even break traction with those tall gears.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Correct, If you have the power to drive 3.08 gears to top gear. If not shorter diff gears will allow you to get into a higher gear and get more wheel speed.

The OP mentioned 0575 gear set which leads me to believe it's a V6 and hence not quiet the power to get top gear and hold it in a skid.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

It's about torque/gearing. 2.78 will make the car go faster at top speed but these cars will struggle to break traction at low/zero speed with a ratio that low. It would be equivalent to trying to take off from a standstill in like 3rd or 4th gear. It's the same reason drifters look for gear sets as high as 5.1.

Dan the Holden man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina s2
Yeah it's a v6 ecotec I get it on limiter straight away and easy as I've got short fan belt on and diode on the trans to help hold it on limter 1st gear I do good get the smoke up and revs hard but struggles to get the revs up in 2nd that's with 15s then when I do run 14s I'm getting limiter in 2nd just at the end of the tyres life I just wanna be able do my whole round in 2nd on limiter

Dan the Holden man

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx Berlina s2
Correct, If you have the power to drive 3.08 gears to top gear. If not shorter diff gears will allow you to get into a higher gear and get more wheel speed.

The OP mentioned 0575 gear set which leads me to believe it's a V6 and hence not quiet the power to get top gear and hold it in a skid.
Yeah it's a v6 ecotec I get it on limiter straight away and easy as I've got short fan belt on and diode on the trans to help hold it on limter 1st gear I do good get the smoke up and revs hard but struggles to get the revs up in 2nd that's with 15s then when I do run 14s I'm getting limiter in 2nd just at the end of the tyres life I just wanna be able do my whole round in 2nd on limiter

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
LS1