Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Diff gears/stally with cam

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII 5.7 Calais, VS SS SII HSV Enhanced
hey all. Im buying a crow cam 4503 and just wanting to know if chucking a stally and diff gears Will improve torque and power? The cam starts in at 2200 and finishes as 5500 if i remember correctly. Anyone got any advice as to what is a good combo? Also what type cams fit into series one and two vs ss's? Cheers

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
you'd want some compression to help get the best out of it. It's pretty close to a Crane 286 and they can go backwards on some stock engines... others can sound good but not make a lot more poke than an engine with bolt ons

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I'd definitely go a stally. I think the cam goes from 2500-5500. I'd prolly go a 3000rpm stally, just because sometimes they don't flash right up depending on how much power ya making. As for diff gears, it depends on wat ya wanna do I guess. I put 4.11's in my wagz coz we built it to go in skid comps, but also wanna cruise around in it and the 4.11's really #### ya off on the highway coz ya sit on like 3000rpm on about 90-100k's. But yeah really depends on wat ya wanna do and how ur gonna use it. If it's just town driving and ya want good acceleration then yeah 4.11's, but like I mentioned b4 they get annoying on the highway, so if u plan on doing a fair bit of highway driving maybe go 3.9's.....which still wouldn't be good on the highway, but ya don't build a hot motor to have good fuel economy do ya... lol

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd definitely go a stally. I think the cam goes from 2500-5500. I'd prolly go a 3000rpm stally, just because sometimes they don't flash right up depending on how much power ya making. As for diff gears, it depends on wat ya wanna do I guess. I put 4.11's in my wagz coz we built it to go in skid comps, but also wanna cruise around in it and the 4.11's really #### ya off on the highway coz ya sit on like 3000rpm on about 90-100k's. But yeah really depends on wat ya wanna do and how ur gonna use it. If it's just town driving and ya want good acceleration then yeah 4.11's, but like I mentioned b4 they get annoying on the highway, so if u plan on doing a fair bit of highway driving maybe go 3.9's.....which still wouldn't be good on the highway, but ya don't build a hot motor to have good fuel economy do ya... lol

Yeah nah i for sure wanted to chuck a stally on it, just wanting to get some info. How would i get some compression into it to get some good results back.

GMHCalais

[TUKN20Z]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Put a set of flat top pistons in it. Alternatively, if you're after a cheap and half arsed band-aid type fix, you can have a heap shaved off the heads.

With most aftermarket cams, 10:1 compression will work well.

Anyone know of a good place that does shave heads or sells cheap flat tops?

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
ACL flat tops....are the go...pretty easy to source..id go the pistons and new rings. at least your compression wont drop with a new set rather than shaving the heads! hunt on ebay for the pistons

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42

Miltons have a good reputation, I'd go there.....well my donk IS there lol. 48-50 Main North Road, Prospect.

You're a week too late! I just sold a set of 30thou ACL flat tops on ebay for $300.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
ACL flat tops....are the go...pretty easy to source..id go the pistons and new rings. at least your compression wont drop with a new set rather than shaving the heads! hunt on ebay for the pistons

Please explain, how will the compression drop by shaving the heads?