Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

New Posts Contact us

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff gears

S

scared_

Guest
i currently have 3.08 grears, the stock v6 ones in my diff and want to change them, more speed down low would be good but dont want to loose to much up top. any one changed them and whats best?? the vp ss comes with 3.27, is that much better?? i dont know a great heap about gears. some ppl have said 4.11, but have been told thats to high and there would be no need for first (its manual (i dont think i could live with out my gearstick!)). worth getting a mini spool? or choo the tires up to much? LSD? just need a bit of insite...
thanx chris
 
H

HATER VP

Guest
At the most go 3.77. Id say go 3.45 with LSD.
Pretty sure VP SS's didnt come out with those gears.
 

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
737
Reaction score
9
Points
0
Location
Behind a Camera...
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
4.11 would be rediculous in a street driven car, and especially a manual, 3.7 wont be too bad, and is generally regarded as the best ratio, 3.45 will give you that bit extra down low you want, and keep your economy at a reasonable level. Personally, id be getting some 3.7s
 

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
2,472
Reaction score
16
Points
38
Location
Melbourne
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
So what type of diffs do VN 6 cyl's have? I heard they are 28 spline like the VL turbo diffs?
 

VN Commy

New Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
159
Reaction score
2
Points
0
Location
NZ
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Yep thats true they are 28 spline like the VL turbo diffs. Just longer with 3.08. More like the VL V8 diff.
 

simc

Supercharged V6 Gemini
Joined
Jul 13, 2005
Messages
219
Reaction score
1
Points
0
VN 6cyl has a openwheeler, 28sp, 4pin center, with 28sp axels and a 3.08 ratio.
On the street, open wheeler, anyting above 3.45 is usless as you will have too much wheelspin. 3.89, 4.11 are also pretty usless on standard engines as they dont have the high rpm power to keep pulling at higher speeds.

3.45, nice average, 3.7 max on a street auto with a stockish engine, 3.89 or 4.11 locked, nice burnouts :)

Keep in mind that your speedo needs correcting after a gear change.
 

1991_Vn2nV

New Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
8,718
Reaction score
67
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Gumeracha, Adelaide Hills
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
scared_ said:
i currently have 3.08 grears, the stock v6 ones in my diff and want to change them, more speed down low would be good but dont want to loose to much up top. any one changed them and whats best?? the vp ss comes with 3.27, is that much better?? i dont know a great heap about gears. some ppl have said 4.11, but have been told thats to high and there would be no need for first (its manual (i dont think i could live with out my gearstick!)). worth getting a mini spool? or choo the tires up to much? LSD? just need a bit of insite...
thanx chris
Dont know who fed you that crap, but the VP SS had the same gear ratio as the stock V6. All of em had the 3.08 ratio.

All of the VN/VP diffs are 4 pinion 28 spline and 3.08 ratio's except for some of the VN HSV's (Group A and SV5000 had VL Turbo diffs with a 3.45 ratio).

IMO get 3.7's. If you do alot of highway driving then just get 3.45's.
 

enhancedss

New Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
519
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
SA
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute [email protected] & VYSSTT 525rwkw
Diff gears,

me personally id go 3.9's to get the car of the line, due to the car hasnt got the torque from a v6, fuel economy wont be much of a difference between between 3.7's and 3.9's.

If auto the car has a lock up convertor so u wont be reving to hard at 100km/h, if manual you will utilise the 5th gear better.

Normally you will find better fuel economy around town from changing diff gears, cause your taking alot of the load of the engine, hence its working better.
 
S

scared_

Guest
1991_Vn2nV said:
Dont know who fed you that crap, but the VP SS had the same gear ratio as the stock V6. All of em had the 3.08 ratio.

All of the VN/VP diffs are 4 pinion 28 spline and 3.08 ratio's except for some of the VN HSV's (Group A and SV5000 had VL Turbo diffs with a 3.45 ratio).

IMO get 3.7's. If you do alot of highway driving then just get 3.45's.
if you have a look in your owners manual it says different! section 10 page 3.
straight out of the book
sedan/wagon 3.08:1
(excpt v6 SS)
v6 SS only 3.27:1

mabey my owners handbook is one of print. anyone wanna buy it? one of a kind, original condition...
 

1991_Vn2nV

New Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
8,718
Reaction score
67
Points
0
Age
33
Location
Gumeracha, Adelaide Hills
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
scared_ said:
if you have a look in your owners manual it says different! section 10 page 3.
straight out of the book
sedan/wagon 3.08:1
(excpt v6 SS)
v6 SS only 3.27:1

mabey my owners handbook is one of print. anyone wanna buy it? one of a kind, original condition...

Thats the V6 SS from New Zealand...

No V6 SS's were sold here. No VN/VP's wth the 3.27 ratio were sold here either.
 
Top