Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff gears

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
1991_Vn2nV said:
Dont know who fed you that crap, but the VP SS had the same gear ratio as the stock V6. All of em had the 3.08 ratio.

All of the VN/VP diffs are 4 pinion 28 spline and 3.08 ratio's except for some of the VN HSV's (Group A and SV5000 had VL Turbo diffs with a 3.45 ratio).

IMO get 3.7's. If you do alot of highway driving then just get 3.45's.
As far as I know only the Group A got the 3.45 ratio (due to the 6 speed ZF box) and shorter VL axles (because of the 17x8" rims, first Australian production car to use 17's).
The Group A also had shot peened gears for added strength.
AirStrike :air:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
AirStrike said:
As far as I know only the Group A got the 3.45 ratio (due to the 6 speed ZF box) and shorter VL axles (because of the 17x8" rims, first Australian production car to use 17's).

SV5000 also, which also had 8" wide rims, however they were only 16's. But of course that doesnt change the overall diameter of the wheel, its the width that counts here.

IJUSTWANTONE

Holden Lover
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina series 2
1991_Vn2nV said:
Thats the V6 SS from New Zealand...

No V6 SS's were sold here. No VN/VP's wth the 3.27 ratio were sold here either.

never heard of a V6 SS over here. we have a V6 S commodore. All the SS's i have ever seen have been V8.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
IJUSTWANTONE said:
never heard of a V6 SS over here. we have a V6 S commodore. All the SS's i have ever seen have been V8.
Hell you can get V6 GTS's over there.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
AirStrike said:

Yep yep, not only that but all the V8 diffs have the shot peened gears, that's what the "high performace" plate on the V8 diffs translates into, not that it matters because even the normal gears are strong enough for insane power anyway

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
enhancedss said:
Diff gears,

me personally id go 3.9's to get the car of the line, due to the car hasnt got the torque from a v6, fuel economy wont be much of a difference between between 3.7's and 3.9's.

If auto the car has a lock up convertor so u wont be reving to hard at 100km/h, if manual you will utilise the 5th gear better.

Normally you will find better fuel economy around town from changing diff gears, cause your taking alot of the load of the engine, hence its working better.
The invisible 5th gear:) Comes in handy keeping the revs to 1700-1800rpm 2 100.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
greenfoam said:
Yep yep, not only that but all the V8 diffs have the shot peened gears, that's what the "high performace" plate on the V8 diffs translates into, not that it matters because even the normal gears are strong enough for insane power anyway
Ummmm even the V6 diffs are plated high performance, this relates to a single spinner.
Trust me, only the Group A got the shot peened rear.

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
IJUSTWANTONE said:

Yea I was gona say...