Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Leaking

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Noticed tonight that on the Live axle VS ute it was very wet around the rubber grommet on the back of the diff.
Have noticed a few patches on the ground under where I park it (could be a coincidence as there was recently another issue with a minor leak elsewhere), but never noticed the wet on the back of the diff as such before.
Being country pack suspension its easy to see.
LSD Diff was replaced maybe 5 years ago, id have to go over records for exact dates. It was run in correctly at that time.

Curious to know, do those grommets fail, should I be worried, or what should I be looking at to rectify or monitor?
Other than to spray it and wipe it down to see if it was a one off or not.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well I hopped under.
Degreased and wiped it down.
Driven it around town a small bit, but not enough to warm everything up.
No leakages so far.

Will watch it through the week anyhow.

From what I could ascertain when I got a fingernail under the rubber grommet it would ever so slightly have a tiny bit of oil. (was cleaning the surface where the grommet meets the housing incase some gunk was under it)
Wondering if it warmed up a bit or something has caught that grommet, or if something has heated up and thermal expansion has happened.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Well to see if there are any suggestions or recommendations have a small update.

Been watching it all week.
Very minor weep from that rubber grommet likely where i had touched it.
So question is, how much of a pain is it to change the grommet, or can it be cleaned up?
I feel like something is stopped it from sealing correctly.

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Can be a pain to change if the plug has hardened.I was going to suggest that you take it out and give it all a good clean but if the plug has gone hard it might disintegrate as you lever it out.
Had a look at 'The Lion's Den' Ebay store and they have them for $9 or so but extra $8 if you want it posted.
'Click and collect' is available that might be the go.