Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff locker

Discussion in 'VN - VP Holden Commodore (1988 - 1993)' started by sexcvn, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sexcvn

sexcvn New Member

Members Ride:
    vn
    just got a free diff locker off a mate, so just wondering how dangerous they are? an i guess there illeagle. but wat are some pros an cons? besides nice burn outs :)

2. Reggie

Reggie Guest

locked diff hey! well , avoid tight cornering such as small round-a-bouts ond car parks, as the inner wheel trys to turn at the same speed as the outer wheel , it will skip and shuuder the diff. this may cause an axle to sheer off at the diif center. But other then that they can get anoying when you just want to drive normal, which Sometimes can happen. best part is good burnouts , a real crowd pleaser. goodluck.

3. sexcvn

sexcvn New Member

Members Ride:
    vn
    hm no way ima put locker in now

thnx for info

4. xcop5l

xcop5l 4th year spanner spinner

Members Ride:
    VN ex cop 5L
    ill take it if you dont want it there great for the drifting lol

5. HDT_aero

HDT_aero Banned

Members Ride:
    manual VN aero
    just search for spool and you will find a million arguments about the pros and cons

6. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    great for the racetrack, no good for the road. get and LSD if you intend to drive around town. the holden LSD is ok but won't stand up to a lot of thrashing. but i've heard the new KAAZ lsd's are good, they apparently behave much like a detroit locker in many ways, the slip when your off the power but lock up real quick when you nail it. depending on how you arrange the clutch packs you can set it up for either race or road use etc. unfortunatly i haven't found a good supplier here (NZ) who has the KAAZ centers cause i wanna fit one to my might VN v6 manual:yeah:

7. Doctor Sodways

Doctor Sodways Legendary Baby!

Members Ride:
    Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
    If your after a kaaz diff, PM enhancedss, he may be able to sort that out for you.

And yes, KAAZ centres are great if you plan on burnouts, doughnuts and the like, but only if your going to get the full use of them, otherwise a good holden LSD will do fine. If you manage to blow that, then go the kaaz

8. Emackulation

Emackulation Banned

Members Ride:
    '92 HSV VP GTS
    On the subject of LSD's and Diff lockers...When you spin the wheel axel on a LSD does the oposite wheel axel spin the same direction as the side you are turning or does it still spin opposite dirrection. I was told my new diff is a LSD, but upon spinning the wheel axels it does what I just stated and spins opposite. At first I thought it wasnt LSD but then I realized if they both span the same direction then the diff would be locked woudn't it?

9. vt1538

vt1538 455rwhp LS3

Members Ride:
    VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
    On an lsd the wheel should spin in the same direction as the one you are turning. If it doesnt then either you have been ripped off or the clutches are stuffed.

10. Emackulation

Emackulation Banned

Members Ride:
    '92 HSV VP GTS
    Oh mannnn, apparently its a 6 month old $900 diff and its a LSD...maybe the ppl i bought it form don't know ****. Oh well I bought the whole car for $250 and it has a new tailshaft and cat, so im still happy.

11. walesy

walesy Aint no family cruiser!!!

Members Ride:
    Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
    yeh mack a locker makes them spin the same way when jacked up... my old vl was spooled and i loved it even daily driving lsd's are ok but not for me... plus theyre expensive to fix when broken or when the start to slip, with the spool it used to cost me $50 for an axel about every 9 months and taking it easy replacing tyres was every 4 months but i never took it easy and replaced my tyres about once every 3 weeks, if you spin both wheels there is more insentive to do burnouts!

12. Emackulation

Emackulation Banned

Members Ride:
    '92 HSV VP GTS
    Lol at the insentive to do burnouts part. But I dont think ill be doing any burnouts for a while since I just bought new 18" mags with new tred, expensive! Well the only way Ill find out if she is LSD is put it in, start her up, stomp the brake, press the accelerator. :D

13. defa

defa New Member

Members Ride:
    VN Commodore
    if ya don't want ya locker i will put my hand up for it. hahaha

14. hoon1

hoon1 hoon1

Members Ride:
    91 vp 5lt
    have fun in the wet ha ha ha

15. xcop5l

xcop5l 4th year spanner spinner

Members Ride:
    VN ex cop 5L
    that dosent always work i got lsd but some times it only single spins,
    its going in to get new cone clutches and get shimed up soon

16. cracker

cracker New Member

spools are great, i wasnt sure with mine i was uming and arrrhing, for $110 its the best money iv ever spent great fun, if you cant put up with alittle shuddering and squeling ur a girl they are sick as, not dangerous at all, just watch them in the wet though, i love mine is the best, im a pretty inexpriecd drive to only had my p's for 4 months, but the spool wade cam acl race piston etc motor and hotted up gear box makes it the best fun go the spool for sure i love mine so much puts a bigger smile on my face then the engine or gearbox can