Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff mounts

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Hey I was just wondering about the strength of the standard diff mountsin a VN commodore and what sort of power/torque you would need to start looking at strengthening the body/chassis? Any help from anyone or previous experience would be great.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Ive had a couple of people tell me that the factory ones are better than the aftermarket nolathane ones. 2 reasons - The strngth of the polyurethane plastic is higher than rubber, but when it fails it fails catastrophically. When rubber fails, it starts to tear, which is usually not catastrophic.

The other reason is that the rubber one is softer, meaning if you thrash it too hard, it will bounce and hit the bumb stop and transmit the thump to the cabin and you will hear it, and probably ease off. In polyurethane, it probably wont h it the bump stops until after failure...

I have just recently swapped from a 3:08 open (7.5" crown) to a 3.7 (8"inch crown) and went with rubber. its a good move. No failures (yet) and its not crashing and banging when i give it the berries on the skid pan.

Shuttsy

Shuttsy
Reaction score
Members Ride
190RWKW VN 5 Litre
Hey man nice car, that all makes sence I think that I will just get new rubber ones and see how they go as I have had the nolethane ones in the past and have experienced a major failure with them, which was no doubt caused by a rough driving style. There has to be some give in there some where. Thatnks for the reply.