Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff oil for vx ???

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I changed the diff oil yesterday arvo and used Penzoil gearplus 90ls says it was for lsd and has a friction modifer in it do i still need to add Holdens friction stuff or is that o.k....

You know when you work on your car and change something like oils and then the car gets a new noise and you think its somethin you have done well i think the diff has a whurring noise but put the boot in and it kinda goes i think ""but then i have a zorst on it and cant really tell :yeah: :yeah: "

Should i have used a different oil and change whats in there or get the friction stuff from holden and add it ??????

Cheers Dave

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
kinda yes and no i dont have any clunk in the diff or a whine as such

but do you reckon after changing the oil and maybe driving like 3klms it would start to make noise its a funny noise its hard to explain

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
put sum nulon diff treatment in it aswell good sum it works well....i changed my diff oil and i could feel the difference it made hey.

cookp

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Car
No, the diff should be pretty quiet.

it's a bit hard to diagnose if your'e not shure about a noise, If it is your diff & it didn't make this so called "whurring noise" before it could be that the 90ls oil you used is a bit thin ?

Upon lengthy investigations into my own problems, i found out that the Original fill on these lsd's was apparantly Mobil SHC 80W-140 ID LSD synthetic diff oil. The friction modifier or 'additive' is usually only added to the original fill to provide additional 'friction' to the lsd cones that have a tendancy to 'grab & slip' overtime thus making an audible 'clunk' (not so in your situation). The additive is quite expensive at $100 for a 100ml bottle.

Pop into holden & see what they say as it could be something else not entirely diff related, otherwise if you're shure it's your diff & the noise gets worse try the above Mobil stuff to see if it quietens things down.

good luck.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
cool i think i will drain it and add the mobil oil and see if it goes away

thanks for all the info

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Do not forget the additive, it is usually tagged for what you need anyway.

Mine starts to clunk when the diff oil needs replacing, new additive and new diff oil, clunk dissapears after about 50 km's.

ac2001au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais LS1
.....then the car gets a new noise and you think its somethin you have done well i think the diff has a whurring noise ...

Hi Dave,

Do you get this noise with moderate accelerating and deceleration?

I might have the same problem ... being trying to work out this one for a while. Already changed the diff oil to Castrol SAF-XA 85/140 (which claims to include FM in it). Maybe it needs more FM.

Thanks
AC

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Hi Dave,

Do you get this noise with moderate accelerating and deceleration?

I might have the same problem ... being trying to work out this one for a while. Already changed the diff oil to Castrol SAF-XA 85/140 (which claims to include FM in it). Maybe it needs more FM.

Thanks
AC

It could also need a bath in the acid.

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
I can hear it under light pedal power but it wasnt there before and now it is after i chaged the oil

Hey Minux you said it should say what additive to put in on the tag is this like a part number from holden or does it say the name of the additive to use from like repco or supercheap

cheers Dave