Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff on its way out??

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
hey guys,

have a general question.
i have a vr ss (obviously LSD), now lets say i went to do a burn out both wheels should spin and leave 2 marks.(as far as i know)

now if i did a burn out and only the left wheel started spining and then after a while the other wheel kicked in, what does that mean?? :whistling

is the diff on its way out?? :rip: diff

or am i just stressin bout nothin

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
typical holden LSD, the cones in the diff wear out and you only have a single spinner. quiet common if you abuse the diff a bit. you can either pull the diff head out and have it reconditioned where they basically reset the preload on the cones as the original holden springs are a bit weak or fit and aftermarket LSD like KAAZ if your willing to spend about 2k. to check the diff just jack up one rear wheel (make sure the other is still firmly on the ground) and see if you can turn the other wheel, the gregories manual says it should take a minimum of 65nm of torque to turn the wheel, if not it needs to be recond.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Sounds like mines on the way out too then (91 VN V8 LSD). I get a metalic type thumping sound when the cars changing gears mostly into 3rd. All is bolted down tight in the rear end. Using TZ100 215's and the engine revs like **** with very little wheel spin.
Should stick the retreads on and see if they will spin up.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
well mins gone. it was lsd but now ist only a one legger:(
one wheel of the ground it almost free spins.
yes its lsd ive had the backing plate of it

ford2holden

Keven
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 executive
I have a problem as well my lsd has only done 95k and it is making thumping
noises intermitantly in forward and reverse,can anyone shed a little light on this annoying subject.

RVN 355

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN SS 355
I have a problem as well my lsd has only done 95k and it is making thumping
noises intermitantly in forward and reverse,can anyone shed a little light on this annoying subject.
are you sure it is ur diff,sounds like a tailshaft, uni joints,wheel bearing,control arms?...

I am rebuilding my diff to suit my engine mods: 3.9.1 LSD VN SS, New Wheel Bearings,Crown Wheel,Pinon $1200

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
:whistling haha u folks need my diff.. its rooted and now for some strange reason, spins both wheels!! im not complaining! just confused slightly... haha

ford2holden

Keven
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy v6 executive
Na bud i checked all that business ,only little bit loose on the output bearings
in diff.I asked ireland holden in cairns ,gotta take it back under stat warranty
tomorrow.Hope they find it and fix it.

phat_com

VR IS A BEAST WITH NEW V6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR s2 Acclaim/VK IS GONE :(
:whistling haha u folks need my diff.. its rooted and now for some strange reason, spins both wheels!! im not complaining! just confused slightly... haha
mine does that in the vk! (its not an lsd) and i have been told that its because i have done some F#cking huge burnouts that is fused the diff together or the axles or something (like when you weld a diff to lock it i guess)