Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff problem ?? (maybe)

swaz01

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
hi guys. i recently got a 04 vy ss serious II and just wanted to see if it was a lsd diff because supposedly they are meant to come with lsd diffs, so my "foot" slipped off the clutch. When i turned around to see if there were two lines, there was only one line. Is my diff slipping? i really don't know what could be the problem. if someone can please help me just so i know whats stuffed. thanks.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Jack the rear end up and have a mate hold one wheel while trying to turn the other, it should be tight if its good. If its easy to overcome the lsd, then you may need to reshim/cone the lsd

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
When rear is jacked up spin one wheel if the other spins in the same direction, LSD. If the other spins opposite direction, open diff. There is also a tag on the filler plug near the top of the diff that warns about what fluid to put in and says LSD on it. Maybe change the fluid.

Mad84VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
I know how you feel. I got my VY V6 Manual ute and that thing singles everywhere. Its so annoying. If i drop the clutch while turning or power on while turning it singles. Yet if i drop the clutch in a straight line it doubles. I've had my fluid changed and it made it worse.

Blazed1101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Don't they have lsd written on the diff itself?so if it does and only left one mark next time you slip the clutch then its playing up

Last edited:

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I know how you feel. I got my VY V6 Manual ute and that thing singles everywhere. Its so annoying. If i drop the clutch while turning or power on while turning it singles. Yet if i drop the clutch in a straight line it doubles. I've had my fluid changed and it made it worse.

My brothers old VU SS ute was like that. Singles if you were already in motion, but doubles from a standing start.

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Welcome to the world of m80 lsd's! I've swapped centres a few times and mine still singles a fair bit. Your ss definitely has an lsd unless someone has changed it. It just sucks like most other people's lsd's. If you like being a hoon then you're best off getting a trutrack or kaaz. You can reset the cones or even buy new ones but if you abuse it enough it will be singling out again pretty quick.

If you get it re shimmed make sure you put stockies on the back when doing burnouts. Spinning up big wheels will put more stress on your lsd. Start your skid while you're straight (i know, booooring) when you start it while turning it stresses your diff more sending torque to the inside wheel. Start rolling before you dump your clutch. Dumping from standing still stresses out all of your driveline.

Ps: no hooning on public roads. Itzz fully illegal nd dangerouzz!

Mad84VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
Welcome to the world of m80 lsd's! I've swapped centres a few times and mine still singles a fair bit. Your ss definitely has an lsd unless someone has changed it. It just sucks like most other people's lsd's. If you like being a hoon then you're best off getting a trutrack or kaaz. You can reset the cones or even buy new ones but if you abuse it enough it will be singling out again pretty quick.

If you get it re shimmed make sure you put stockies on the back when doing burnouts. Spinning up big wheels will put more stress on your lsd. Start your skid while you're straight (i know, booooring) when you start it while turning it stresses your diff more sending torque to the inside wheel. Start rolling before you dump your clutch. Dumping from standing still stresses out all of your driveline.

Ps: no hooning on public roads. Itzz fully illegal nd dangerouzz!

How to save your diff when doing skids 101