Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Problems

L

luap001

Hi Guys/Girls,

Well looks like to many burnouts, may have casued some problems (who would have guessed)

:driving: :driving: :driving:

now when driving between 30 - 80 k whenever above about 3000 rpm the diff appears to be making some nasty grinding\clunking noises, when going up a hill, it gets so bad the the seats shake,

Obviously it is now parked up and not being drivin (ohhhhh how i miss it)

it has been recomended that i flush the diff and put some new oil in, in the hopes this wil fix it and there has been no perminant damage done,

There are no warning lights or messages on the dash (found this a bit weird)

if anyone has any other ideas please let me know
or if anyone can give me some basic instructions on how to change the diff oil that would be great.

Id Obviously rather not take it into holden.

Thanks Guys\Girls

Z

zzume

I have a VZ SS and i recently had diff problems the diff was clunking and not so much grinding but it had a definate whine in it. I took the car into the holden dealership and they told me that by holden standards it was "acceptable". The whine was between 1800 and 3000 rpm at any speed and on the freeway it was unbearable to the point where i dont want to drive it as it was soooooo annoying.

Took the car to another holden dealer and without hesitation they ordered and replaced the diff.

I regularly tow a boat which is only 17 foot and does not weigh all that much i am not too sure what caused the problem. I drive the car hard but rarly do any burnouts at all.

My suggestion if it is still under warranty take it to holden and get it replaced.

benzor

yawn :(
Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6!
Take it to holden, get it replaced.

My LSD has failed about 4-5 times so far, keeps turning into an open diff... :b:

Dave R

Reaction score
I hade a VZ crewman for work and my farther has a VZ ute both have had diffs replaced under warinty.

hkmonaro68

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Holden released a techline about a bolt coming loose on the tailshaft. Have a quick look. But definately get it towed to your Holden dealer.

A

Andre's SS

I thrash the **** out of my ute and it still smokes both wheels and no whine!

With 300kg in the rear tray.

Lucky i guess!

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
i dont think a flush and oil change is gunna fix it zzume, who would of thought that burnouts would f#ck ya diff! bet ya had fun doing ay! if it was mine i would back it out of the drive and do a monster rollback/liney till it blew, what ya got 2 lose, ya need a new one anyhoo! make sure you get it on your video/phone and show all ya mates how its done!!!!!

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
I've got an AWD one tonner, and the diff(s) are rubbish... I know holden have stopped using that diff company, that's why they're pretty easy to get replaced under warranty...

TazVz2005

Taz VZ Owner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute 1 tonner
I took my 1 tonner to Holden complaining that it would spin only 1 wheel on the lawn at home trying to tow the race bike trailer, the women there tried to tell me that LSD diffs only spin 1 wheel anyway..:bang:

When i went back to pick it up they told me that it was fine and they couldn't find a problem...:whistling

After that visit it has magicly worked as it should all the time, guess they found something after all:bang:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
if you like your burns holden wont touch it with warrenty, youd be better off buying a kaaz centre if you still wanna drive like that