Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff question

foochini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL TURBO
Hey guys sorry to flood the vl section with questions but it's been very effective so far,
I just went and purchased a mini spool for my diff, standard 78 series Borg warner,
My question is will a single pegger diff still spin both wheels when jack up off the ground? (Mine did this)
I'm unsure what I have because the car pegs when I get on the anchors but twins when I power slide..has a black filler plug so I assumed it was a pegger but any help would be awesome.
Matt

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
With both wheels of the ground it will spin both but if you look carefully you'll note the wheel on the other side will be turning in the opposite direction to the wheel you are turning by hand.

To check if the diff is an LSD you need to only jack up one side and then try turning the wheel. If it's an open diff or totally stuffed LSD the wheel will turn, if it has a functioning LSD then the wheel won't turn.

foochini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL TURBO
Thanks heeps brother, by the off chance it's a lsd stuffed or not stuffed Can i still install the minispool? (I'd prefer a locked diff too a lsd)
I think I read someware on here a lsd 25 spline can-not be spooled..is this correct or just much more expensive?
How do I get around this!
TIA

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not sure on the 25 spine unit.

The LSD doesn't have a center pin like the open diffs which is used to locate the mini-spool inside the open center and hence the reason it doesn't work. It may be possible to use a pin from the open center to locate the mini-spool in the LSD housing but I couldn't be certain.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
not trying to be the fun police but if this is a road car you'll last 30 seconds before getting pulled up with a locked diff. besides they are just annoying to live with, squeaking around corners, dangerous in the wet etc.

foochini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL TURBO
hey towcar,
i understand the pros and cons, i dont mind nursing it around town on a rainy day for the advantage of having a predictable slide.

foochini

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL SL TURBO
as for the police.....meh