Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff question

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
got my mate to take my car out for a drive the other day before its goin into hibernation for a few months until i can drive it again.
cruised around for a few hours and on the way home we turned at an intersection with a really rough bumpy surface on it, i felt the back of the ute shunt and then a grinding noise.
i thought i snapped my panhard rod but when i got it on the hoist everything was fine around the diff
took the axles out to assess the situation and my right axle had snapped about 30mm up from the end of the splines.
i thought that they were meant to be strong axles that could take more stress than that as they were only replaced with new ones about 4 months ago.

cracker

Reaction score
i dont expect to break axels with a spool 28 spline axels are pretty strong its only really a common probley with the 25spline which come out in the vl non turbos etc, iv had a spool for....month or so and give me car a very hard time. and its perect its better then it was i dont have noisey spider gears any more

H

HATER VP

Yeah the diffs are very strong and its un common but not un heard of to break these axels unless you hit the curb nicely. When axels snap they usually go and the end of the spline because there is a grove often machined in there for that purpose.

xcop5l

4th year spanner spinner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN ex cop 5L
no spool??
the center hasnt blown?
may have been a week casting
or the apprentice machiner did it on a fri night not thinkin bout the lob

cracker

Reaction score
i dont see what the problem is with replacing axels they are cheap easy to replace and there as easy to get.