Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff ratio change. speedo correct! yer i know pls read

Discussion in 'Mace Engineering' started by Cuzzy69, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    tryed jatcar sht no luck... i have heard that u can mod the ecu to suit the different diff ratio ?
    any one know ware or who.... happy to take car anyware in melbourne vic. my home software brings up the ratio as 3.08 but i have 3.89. need someone to change the table in the ecu or where ever? that should be the best fix all round i hope. done lots of searching on site but no contacts provided.. pls help

2. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    It's not that simple unfortunately. You can change the setting in the tune but you will have to change all the transmission tables to suit but that still doesn't solve your problem because (as I understand it) the speed signal from the transmission passes straight through the PCM and isn't modified by the tune so your speedo will still read incorrectly.

The only real option is to fit a speedo corrector box.

VS_Pete likes this.
  3. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    yes that what i understand so i need a gearbox tune in the pcm ecu to suit...if i change the speedo sensor before the ecu. happy to dyno and tune if someone can do it. MACE adjust shift point when u buy the larger thottle body so they must be close to working it out..there are so many ppl out there with this problem, someone should be able to sort it by now? dont mind spending the money if it works.

4. MACE

MACE Well-Known Member

Could you let us know motor do you have? It would be possible to recalibrate the seepdo using Tech 2 tool but it would depend on what motor you have.

Best Regards,
    Jason

5. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    hi Jason ive got the ecotec v6 and auto. 96 v6 wagon. thanks

6. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    yet again on my 3rd speedo box not working.... every setting and auto electrician has fitted with me...... fk not working help

7. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    newe ideal! just move the needle back 10 degress or so ? sould work nice???? and free will do tomorrow.. let u tommorrow

8. immortality

immortality Home of the smoky breakfast Bacon! Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    The new jaycar speedo corrector doesn't seem to work properly unfortunately, there are others on the market but I can't remember the names atm. Moving the needle doesn't work as the as the difference is a %age and not a fixed amount.

9. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    thanks heaps jason.. just adjusted the speedo ill see what happens?????? let you know..about right is all i want. lol. had to install a small screw so the needle doesnt go into the lower plastic and get stuck 2 mins ....easy still look factory....may or may not work but im guna try as its easy for me... merry Christmas to all..

ps wont know until tomorrow night as i need to fix the rear hand brake return spring and take off blocks lol then gps the car.... also checking out the new mace spacers installed.. top bottom v6 awsum 25 and 12 i think

10. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    getting it close at above 60 kph.. enough to trust im not speeding ,,but not to much that i dont believe the high overeating speedo. still need it fixed properly so any help needed. im happy to spend the cash on the right product or tune.

11. Cuzzy69

Cuzzy69 New Member

Members Ride:
    Vs wagon exe v6
    spoke to marks 4wd adapters in vic. this model im told will work on 4 speed auto. Part Number: MFKSGI-5E
    https://www.marks4wd.com/mfksgi-5e.html

About $250 bucks. will try soon. as for now moving the needle downwards.. eg pull of needle and preposition it at below zero by about 2cm it reads 65 at 60.. 80 at 80 87 at 90 etc.. bit of a guessing game below 60 but should help a few out. so basically it under reads below 70 and over reads above but very close.. i have the 3.89 diff and 255/40/17 rims at back. very close to stock diameter. the needle was about 2cm lower than standard on the s3 dash and a small self tapping screw used to stop the needle from falling into the plastic shroud below it. you will need to pull out the dash insert and split it open to do this.. very easy. at least now at most legal speeds i got a fair ideal of speed as before it read so high it was to hard to guess. all the best guys hope it helps a bit.