Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff Ratio

Commy27

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ute
Hey Guys,

My mate has a new diff for me and it is a completely different ratio to the stock diff i already have on my VS commodore ute.
My diff ratio now i think is 2.7 but the one he wants me to buy is a 3.81 i think. This seems like a big difference and apparently will give me a much faster take off to what i already have.

Just wondering if anybody has any advice for me as to whether or not i should purchase it, and the pro's and con's of the new diff.

Responses needed ASAP. Cheers

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
You would have a 3.08:1 now unless its been modified. All commodores were stock this way. 3.8:1(Is that what it is?? or 3.81:1 like u wrote) will give you quickr take off, but rev harder at the top end. I wouldnt even condider it unless its LSD also. Upto you, if thats what you want then buy it if its in good nic, if not dont worry bout it. clearly your gonna lose some economy fuel wise asell cause ur revin harder.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Standard ratio for a vs ute is 3.08:1. With 3.81:1 gears it'd definitely launch off the mark alot quicker, but you need to remember now that in each gear you'll be revving higher to do the same speed as you would with stock gears and probably use a little more fuel. Depends on what you use the ute for. If you want to have some fun with it then these lower gears would be a good choice imo, but if its just your daily that you travel to and from work on the highway each day then maybe not worth it? Just depends on what you want out of it. Your speedo will also be thrown out of whack and will need to be corrected. Jaycar make an electronic speedo adjuster for this purpose.