Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff ratio?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Wanting to swap out the open wheel 3.27 diff (auto) to 3.45 LSD)

I know its a straight swap, but does anything have to be re-programmed due to the higher ratio?

And does it matter if the donor LSD is from a V8 or manual?

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
Short answer is yes, you will have to have the ecu reprogrammed as your speedo will be out also traction control will be freaking.
i'm not sure on the V8 center into a v6 diff question.

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
could this be done at a local garage by changing a PPK code to suit the new diff ratio, or does it have to go to Holden?

Or is it more involved than that?

MACE

Reaction score
"Wanting to swap out the open wheel 3.27 diff (auto) to 3.45 LSD) I know its a straight swap, but does anything have to be re-programmed due to the higher ratio?"
Speedo needs to be recalibrated for diff ratio.

"And does it matter if the donor LSD is from a V8 or manual?"
No, it doesn't matter. the only difference is the tail shaft.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Michael

VXBaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Series II Wagon
So, if I wanted to put a lower ratio (higher number) gear in my (V6 VYII Wagon) diff I'd need the diff centre AND the tailshaft from the donating V8 car? I see lots of 3:45 and higher LSD diffs for sale but they're just the centre and don't usually have the tailshaft advertised. Keen to do this swap but not sure what I need or what will fit. Am I loking for a diff centre from a VY only or will other model years fit?

Thanks.

MACE

Reaction score
"So, if I wanted to put a lower ratio (higher number) gear in my (V6 VYII Wagon) diff I'd need the diff centre AND the tailshaft from the donating V8 car? I see lots of 3:45 and higher LSD diffs for sale but they're just the centre and don't usually have the tailshaft advertised. Keen to do this swap but not sure what I need or what will fit. Am I loking for a diff centre from a VY only or will other model years fit?"
If you have a v6 car and want to put in a high ratio you would only need to change the gear ratio, the diff housing and center are the same. Assuming that you are doing a full conversion then you would need a different tail shaft. if it's a standard V6 and you want hird ratio you just need the gears.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Michael