Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff shimming

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
I've got a bit of whining coming from my diff at around 80km/h, and have been told I need to reshim the diff so that the crownwheel and pinion line up properly. I might give it a shot myself, but has anyone else done this before? also, does anyone know what size shims i use and where to get them?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 holden omega with factory nav
yeah i had the same problem with my vs i got the diff re shimed

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
can you shim an lsd diff to make it tight again? we did this to my old cefiro cost like $15 bucks and a few hours apposed to getting the diff rebuilt

my utes diff wont twn spin with 17s now its getting a bit worn out and got a drag day coming up in october

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
can you shim an lsd diff to make it tight again? we did this to my old cefiro cost like $15 bucks and a few hours apposed to getting the diff rebuilt

my utes diff wont twn spin with 17s now its getting a bit worn out and got a drag day coming up in october

thats a different kind of shimming. thats lsd shimming. mine is adjusting the shims in the centre to get the crownwheel and pinion to turn properly

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
yea i understand that but i was wondering if i can shim it myself like nissan lego parts cars or is it a bit tricky, and probably best left to someone who has a bit more experience

and do holden sell the lsd shims?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
the shims that go under the pinion you can by of the shelf in different thicknesses. can't remember the size infortunatly. the "shims" that are used to locate the diff center are usually "surface ground" to get the correct thickness. normally between 3-4mm and are done indervidually for each diff so not an off the shelf item.

as for shimming the actuall diff center. best bet is to remove the center yourself and take to a local diff shop. they will be able to strip and shim the diff center in about 15mins (assuming it isn't rooted). if it hasn't already being done, they can replace the spring also as the spring fitted from factory is fairly average.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
im just trying to decide if i should take it to a diff shop or try it myself. i can take apart the diff and get the centre out myself fine, but id have to buy the special grease for it to work out how far out it is, then the shims, then work out which ones to use, etc

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i would. ifyou do it andget it wrong your stuffed, they do it and get it wrong you have some sort of comeback. they also have the gear and it shoudn't take long or cost much