Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

diff swap help (learner)

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
hey i have a 96 vs supercharged and want to chage the diff to make quicker acceleration its standard 308:1 but im wanting i think 3.9 can you guys give me advice on what i need to do to complete a diff swap do i need to swap diffs or just gears? can gears be just swapped? also what cars do the diffs you are recmmending come out off cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
is your car irs or live axle?

u can just change the gears only, best left to prefessionals though, the correct tooth pattern and backlash needs to be set to prevent premature wear of the gears. i had my gears changed for $190. isnt very expensive, note this was with the diff out of the car.

plymouth_hemi_69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 turbo, vn v8 turbo
hey yea i reed that already aye and how do you tell wheater its irs or live axle

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
IRS usually has a universal joint very close to the diff, on the axles (as well as the prop shaft) (some may have CV joints instead). It allows each axle to move independtly of the Diff housing - hence IRS.

Live axles have no joints in the axles (there will still be one in the prop shaft), they run all the way across from hub to hub. They call them live as the entire diff and axle housing is a live member of the rear suspension.

Look at the diff and look for rubber boots within a few inches of the diff. If yes - IRS. If no - probably Live.

Beam axle's have no diff - only found in Front wheel drives, where the diff is in the gearbox.

Transaxles have the gearbox and diff in one housing. Great idea as weight distribution improves shifting mass rearward, in front engine vehicles.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
The only reason people buy a whole diff with the internals they want is because it's a simple bolt in job. Of course you can buy the gears you want and have it fitted professionally, but it will probably work out rather expensive, expecially if you want a drive in drive out service.