Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between 5.0 & 5.7l V8

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
Also, what is everyones opinion on gas injected 5.7's? The car I'm looking at has a gas injected system worth approx $6k...

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
gas is for bbq's.

gas injection is bettr than the old school gas setup but i am extremely anti LPG except for straight 6 falcons and forklifts.

akust0m

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT II SS LS1
The car has done 12X, XXX km's. and if I ran it on 98 from now on....?

Burnout124

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2/ VY SS 6sp
my brother has 2 5.7 on gas they run greate with vapor injection but if you go liquid injection you get 10kw power gain over fuel

feg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S/C
I think you have to calculate your return on investment.

If you calculate how much the system costs, how much you will drive and how you will save to eventually get your money back.

I think if you want one on gas, wait until you find one with it installed already,

Also how long are you going to keep the car? If it is a calais or something special that you really like and there fore keep, it would be worth it, but if you end up selling the car in 3 years it just won't be worth the trouble let alone the expense.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
5L vs 5.7L gen III is very debatable topic.
Personally Im with old mate, Id much prefer 5L (hence why I bought one) as they sound 1000000000000 times better, had a LOT less problems the the early 5.7's have and also as old mate said, I hate how you dont get the usable power until high revs with the gen III. 90% of my driving is done in < 100k zones so I much prefer to have my power down low. However if you are purely chasing power figuires and you want a nice high HP written down on a dyno sheet, then obviously the 5.7 is what you want.
And yep gas is for BBQ's. lol (Gonna steal that for my sig. LOL)

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
As much as everyone bags the 5ltr it's no slouch, it's just not the right choice of engine for the heavy VT Commodore...

The 5ltr has balls of down low torque; having owned both an LSx powered VX SS Commodore, and now the 5ltr VT SS Commodore I find the old Holden 5ltr to be the better daily driver of the two, yes it uses a little more juice but if tuned correctly the difference is minimal. The 5ltr pulls off the line with its useable rev range up to about 4000rpm and you'll find you rarely need to rev it anywhere near that to get it moving.

The LSx by comparison lacks down low, and really needs to be revved a little to get it moving along; they tended to use a bit of oil and don’t sound as good which is often a sticking point for many.

That said, you will less than half the money getting the LSx to 300rwkw, the use of more modern technology and the conservative tune Holden put in these things makes squeezing more out of these engines much easier. It's a real shame that Holden didn’t continue to develop the 5ltr as I don't see any reason why it can’t punch out good numbers (it's a good base, and indestructible).

macca33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Senator 300
Some of these comments are very humorous. Face reality people; whilst the Holden 308 / 304 / 355 was a great, long-serving engine, the LS1 and later engines smack its ar$e every time. I've owned quite a few V8s (6 x Holden donk in HJ, HX, VP, VS & 2 x LS1) from circa-1975 cars up to what I drive now. Strangely, my car doesn't seem to have any low-mid or high torque / power issues and sounds like a V8 should.

To answer the OP's question:-

Economy - LS1 wins the race, even better if you get it tuned

Power - no brainer

My preference - should be obvious

As far as mod-ability goes, again, the LS1 wins every time, with cheap, proven and reliable power-adding being a very simple and non bank account draining process.

cheers

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Some of these comments are very humorous. Face reality people; whilst the Holden 308 / 304 / 355 was a great, long-serving engine, the LS1 and later engines smack its ar$e every time. I've owned quite a few V8s (6 x Holden donk in HJ, HX, VP, VS & 2 x LS1) from circa-1975 cars up to what I drive now. Strangely, my car doesn't seem to have any low-mid or high torque / power issues and sounds like a V8 should.

To answer the OP's question:-

Economy - LS1 wins the race, even better if you get it tuned

Power - no brainer

My preference - should be obvious

As far as mod-ability goes, again, the LS1 wins every time, with cheap, proven and reliable power-adding being a very simple and non bank account draining process.

cheers

Yep totally agree with you there macca, Although i have never driven a 5l my ls1 has no low down or mid torque issues an has spanked the #### out of any 5l that has had a go at me from standing starts to rolling 1s.