Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between Headers & Extractors...

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Nah mate. Extractors and headers are the exact same thing, its just they have always been called extractors here for decades, headers always in the US.

I initially thought that to. As discussed in the other thread. I thought tuned length were "headers" and the other "extractors". Who knows>? Im still getting told both stories.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
what about exhaust pulses??? extractors do just that .. extract the exhaust gases.

tuned length extractors are exactly the right length and collect in the right spot to optimise exhaust flow out of the enigne..

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
tuned length headers are good for tuning the power band, unfortunatly equel lenght tuned headers tune over a norrow rpm band. unequal lenth headers don't tune as well but do it over a greater rpm range(this is for V8's only as far as i know as it has to do with firing order/exhaust pulses down the headers etc and it's different for V6/inline 6/inline 4's etc). as far as i am aware equal length tuned headers are over rated. but yeah, headers/extractors, same thing

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
Hey guys,

Just a quick one, what is the difference between Headers and Extractors?? Ive heard ppl talking about both but never knew the difference....any help apriciated

Cheers
Francis :thumbsup:

is your name really francis?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Tube headers/extractors are generally made from stainless steel piping, whereis stock manifolds are made of cast iron.

kenwstr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
what about exhaust pulses??? extractors do just that .. extract the exhaust gases.

tuned length extractors are exactly the right length and collect in the right spot to optimise exhaust flow out of the enigne..

This is possible at only one RPM though.

Ken

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
There are both tuned length headers and tuned length extractors... Because headers and extractors are the exact same...

Only HM seem to be the only real tuned length header going around, however Pacemaker etc. also claim to be tuned length extractors.

blowntorana_ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS
its exactly the same as a supercharger and a blower. ones old school and the other's 'new age'. but one always sounds tuffer. blower and headers go hand in hand, just like supercharger and extractors (sounds more technical)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I prefer old school personally. Too many young punks talk too much trash. It's like when people say 'worked' or 'modified' engine. Same damn thing.