Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

difference between IRS and live axel

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
from memory IRS tends to bog down a bit on take off, I.E will stick down better and may look uneven when stopped.

Hopefully someone else can offer a little more then that.

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
I Think You Can Lower IRS More Cause The Tyres Can Tuck Up In The Guards With Live Axel Cause Your Diff Can Drop Lower Than Your Hubs But Then You Get Bad Camber Wear

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I Think You Can Lower IRS More Cause The Tyres Can Tuck Up In The Guards With Live Axel Cause Your Diff Can Drop Lower Than Your Hubs But Then You Get Bad Camber Wear

i think you've missed some words, cause that doesnt make sense. it almost does,but not quite.

IRS can be lowered until the tyre touches the inner wheel tub, or until the spring cant be made any shorter. lowering a car with IRS will cause more camber wear than normal. this can be rectified to a degree with various camber correction kits.

Live axle can only be lowered until either the tyres touch the inner tub, or the diff touches the floor. you will not get any camber wear on a live axle car.

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
i think you've missed some words, cause that doesnt make sense. it almost does,but not quite.

IRS can be lowered until the tyre touches the inner wheel tub, or until the spring cant be made any shorter. lowering a car with IRS will cause more camber wear than normal. this can be rectified to a degree with various camber correction kits.

Live axle can only be lowered until either the tyres touch the inner tub, or the diff touches the floor. you will not get any camber wear on a live axle car.

I Think You Can Lower IRS More Cause The Tyres Can Tuck Up In The Guards And With IRS Your Diff Can Drop Lower Than Your Hubs But Then You Get Bad Camber Wear

lol That Makes More Sence..

holden-4-life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Equipe II
i heard somewhere that live axel will make it easyer to spin the wheels then IRS bcoz the IRS just sags in the ass when trying to drop a burnout
im talkin auto not manual.

can someone confirm this?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The VP-VZ IRS has alot more traction than the live axel cars both from standing start and cornering. Harder to lower with the wheels straight and potentially breaks easier (but lately I've decided VQ Rats theory of everything, ie jacking the car up from the diff is what breaks them is true rather than them just breaking for no reason). There's no problem doing a burnout in a IRS car it's just harder for cars with no power to overcome the extra traction, some V6's might struggle that's all. All up the IRS is a fair bit better from a performance stand point (which is why it's all HSV used when they had the option)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
With the current saloon cars they race the AU falcon usually is alot faster than the VT's they race against but in the rain the VTs come back at them pretty good because the VT has IRS the AU doesn't