Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between L67 and L98 6.0L Engines

ChargedBT1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXSS II
Anyone know the visual and mechanical differences between the L67 (normal 6.0L) and the L98 (hsv 6.0L)

Thanks

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Never heard of an L67.

I know the first Holden 6.0 litre was an L76 and is currently the L98.

The HSV 6.0 litre is the LS2.

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
L76 was used in the MY06 VZ models due to new euro III emission laws. Holden could no longer use the LS1 because it didnt meet them. So they had to find a 'gap' engine as such between the LS1 and the L98 so they used the L76 before using the L98 (Gen4) in the VE V8's. LS2's and now LS3's are/were used in the HSV from from LS2's VZ's and early model VE's to the LS3 from Feb this year. Where as the L98 is used in the VE SS models.

Hope that helps

I think the actual mechanical difference is better heads and better computer management, Not 100% sure

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The L76 is still in use by Holden. It's the Engine they use in the Pontiac G8, pretty much a rebadged LHD VE Commodore, that they export to the USA.

It is DoD (Displacement on Demand) capable but none of the units used in Australian sold Commodores had the DoD technology enabled. The current Pontiac G8 is exported to the USA with DoD enabled.

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The L76 is still in use by Holden. It's the Engine they use in the Pontiac G8, pretty much a rebadged LHD VE Commodore, that they export to the USA.

It is DoD (Displacement on Demand) capable but none of the units used in Australian sold Commodores had the DoD technology enabled. The current Pontiac G8 is exported to the USA with DoD enabled.

Notice the quoted power of the engines with DoD is down on the L98... I guess they have to compromise somewhere.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
The L76 a generation older - that's why it's not as powerful. The L98 is a newer engine than the L76.

djking0527

djking0527
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 g8 gt
the l67 is the supercharged v6 engine over here the U.S.. it comes in the pontiac grand prix gtp and bonneville ssei, the oldsmobile aurora, buick regal gs and the chevy impala ss and monte carlo ss

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
the l67 is the supercharged v6 engine over here the U.S.. it comes in the pontiac grand prix gtp and bonneville ssei, the oldsmobile aurora, buick regal gs and the chevy impala ss and monte carlo ss

And was used in Commodores until 2004 when the alloytec came in. When did the L67 start being fitten to Commodores anyway?