Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between L67 and L98 6.0L Engines

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Which Dexos 1 5w30 oil is full synthetic. Hard to even find the ALSAC rating on most oil which says a lot.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Its a gf5 type, obviously its a gm product packaged by acdelco, its supplied by fuchs, which i believe to be a very good oil, you will see that mobil now complies with dexos1 standards, but the original dexos1 is half the price so obviously most shops use genuine

Sent from my shoephone

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
just to add to an old thread

LS1=5.7 gen111
LS2=6.0 HSV ONLY
LS3=6.2 VE HSV ONLY
L76=VZ 6L (NON HSV) with afm disabled
L98=SERIES 1 VE 6L (NON HSV)
L76=VE SERIES 2 WITH AFM (NON HSV)
L77=VE SERIES 2 WITH AFM, E85 FLEXIBLE FUEL

SIMPLE AS THAT LADIES AND GENTLEMAN

2006/2007 VZ ute's had L98

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
2006/2007 VZ ute's had L98
Great I have a Crewman 6L so what do I have???

Yep, not so much the vz range, but ve chew the lobes off like no tommorow, i cant stress how important it is to use Dexos1 5w30 full synthetic

Sent from my shoephone

I have used this one- no good?
e7yju7en.jpg

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Im not going to start a whole thing here, everyone has there own opinion with oils, all im going to say from my 10 years parts experience is never use anything over 10w30 in any lsx engine, we use and recommend (and any taxi workshop who see these engines do upto 600,000 will back this up) is acdelco 5w30 full synthetic in ANY alloytec, or VE engine

Sent from my shoephone

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Dont stress out too much, as long as you change your oil reguarly so it doesnt have a chance to sludge, should be sweet

Sent from my shoephone

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
At least Nulon put the specs on label unlike most. Better pick would be their modern full syn said version for about $60 for 6ltr from Super cheap or Aoto barn.
These oils don't yet have a Dexos rating but I think the top Penrite may now have it but not the ones always on sale.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Or you can just buy actual dexos1

Sent from my shoephone

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Anyone know the visual and mechanical differences between the L76 (normal 6.0L) and the L98 (hsv 6.0L)

Ahoy OP!! It pays to use the site search ya scallywag! HSV 6.0 was the GenIII LS2, which although had a high performance cam, in stock form is outmoded by the advanced induction introduced with GenIV, such that matching lift alone gives L76/L98 the edge over the HSV LS2.
L76 or L98 (an answer from six months ago)
"Ostensibly the same, L98 has a (mozzy's dick) conservative conventional cam, whereas L76 uses AFM cam and valve train to make better economy and emissions in an automatic.
Early L76s (prior to VE MY9.5), had the original Eaton collapsible Displacement on Demand lifters which have demonstrated either lifter component failure or wear / turning in their plastic trays. This was addressed with the AC Delco revision and standard with the L77 update.
A way to notice the older lifters with an original full L76 motor is to see if it has a brass butterfly in the TB, as the LS3 manifold / upside down TB update was done around the same time as the lifters. Not definitive, but suffice it to say a pre-MY9.5 aluminum butterfly needs further investigation.
To enable AFM lifter collapse on demand, L76 has a Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly (valley cover with solenoids), and corresponding high pressure oil pump and regulator. I don't know if the L98 is the same spec oil pump however most AFM removal kits do not cater for the difference in oil pressure(?)
Difference when upscaling the performance is that with L76 you need to compensate for the weight and height of AFM lifters in valve train and custom grind, meaning you look mainly to rockers for the lift, as opposed to traditional off the shelf LSx cam options.
A N/A L76 with cam and high lift rocker combo retaining AFM gear currently holds the world record 1/4 time (mid 10s) for NA VE/G8/VF - reliability and performance is identical to a similarly cammed L98. However, with the revised lifters the L76 can deliver this performance and reliability with 10-35% better fuel economy vs L98 under light load especially in overdrive gears 80-140kph.
Bottom line is if the L76 has Eaton lifters then not worth it IMO, L98 is the smart choice. However if it has the revised lifters you get the best of both worlds.
Another point to consider L76's bits over L98 simplicity is that the latest developments in AFM aftermarket cams utilise GM's VVT core, so it is possible bolt some cheap bits from GM parts bin onto the front when swapping cams to retrofit Dual Equal Cam Phasing (VVT) while retaining AFM like the Corvette L99 - offering race cam specs up top without sacrificing drivability around town."
BTW L77 is by any measure better than all the above, understandably.

Last edited: