Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between L67 and L98 6.0L Engines

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
Thank You Pir4te ! Very informative ! Do you think my Dec 09 built SSV SE L76 would have the revised lifters of the L77 ?

Btw What exactly is the" VF f/r track update" you have on your Black Pearl ?

Thanks

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Put it this way, if we want to rebuild an L98 motor, holden only supply the L76 3/4 engines, to work around this we have to then add an L98 cam, swap the valley plate from the old motor, replace the 8 afm lifters and swap the oil pickup, we dont change the oil pumps at all

Sent from my shoephone

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
Dont fall into the trap of thinking ALL ve run into this problem, like any model some have problems some dont.. its not a recall and its not a rework, ive seen taxis with 600,000 with original cam and lifters..

Sent from my shoephone

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
You're welcome, thanks for the feedback! :yarr:

Do you think my Dec 09 built SSV SE L76 would have the revised lifters of the L77 ?

The easiest way to check whether your L76 engine* has the MY9.5 update with the LS3 manifold and TB is simply lift off the Turtle cover, look to see if the MAP sensor is bolted in like the one in this video, which means it has the update.
[video=youtube_share;S986_UdNkh8]http://youtu.be/S986_UdNkh8[/video]
* I think I said L96 engine in the voiceover (which is yet to be produced, LOL) of course I meant to say L76.

Btw What exactly is the" VF f/r track update" you have on your Black Pearl ?

Sure, it's widely reported that there is no difference in track / wheelbase between VE & VF V8s but in fitting four pot differential bore Brembos I realised that despite identical platform and similar weight between model variants there is quite a bit of flexibility in the factory setup re: track widths and Front / Rear stagger from VE SS to Gen-F GTS:

Front
VE SSV 1592mm
VF SSV 1602mm
VE HSV 1616mm
Gen-F 1622mm

Rear
Gen-F 1588mm
VE SSV 1608mm
VF SSV 1590mm
" " 1608mm
" " 1618mm

In other words the new model designation is staggered 30mm wider track at the front on the GTS, 30mm wider at rear on the SSV Redline from the factory. So I decided to set my car up within the dynamics of these parameters.

SSVSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
my10 SSV SE L76
Thanks again PIR4TE ! After looking at your vid i see my SSVSE L76 has the update so im happy now.

Re the track width VE vs VF , I understand , I must put it on the list for my beast ;-)

Cheers !!

Last edited:

nes138

Reaction score
Members Ride
FC HOLDEN with 5LT V8 (VT)
Was the update a factory thing or done after?
I don't have it

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
It was a factory thing. Many VZs and VE Series I L76s are over 400k still running strong.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Thanks again PIR4TE ! After looking at your vid i see my SSVSE L76 has the update so im happy now.

Re the track width VE vs VF , I understand , I must put it on the list for my beast ;-)

Cheers !!

Check your Build plate in the engine bay to confirm?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Hey pirate! While we're here lol!

Did they ever end up putting a better manifold on the ls2? Because they ran till what, 08? So that kinda means you were better off buying a ve ss than hsv right? (engine wise only obviously)

What was the manifold on the ls2 aswell out of curiosity, was it the same ls6 manifold off the ls1's?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Check your Build plate in the engine bay to confirm?

Sure, I thought OP wanted to know how to tell from observing the engine (as in crate / exchange).
I'm no expert on VIN spotting but from what I've read, in order to identify a 2009.5 model the last six digits begin with a 3, that means its a 2009.5. So the last seven characters would be like "L308712".
There are other visual signs of the update apart from LS3 manifold and throttle body for those familiar with the engine, mostly bits shared with LS3:
New Water Pump
New Radiator Hoses
New ECM Mounting Bracket
And under the skin..
ECM (shared new OS with LS3)
TCM (shared new OS with LS3)
BCM new 9.5 calibration with many subsystem changes
New Valley Plate / Oil Manifold
New Timing Chain Tensioner
New Diameter for foul air passage