Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between solid axle and irs brakes?

Rowenb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
Want to know if Vn Grp A rear brakes will fit my VP Calais without any mods needed? Or am i better off looking for VR VS clubsport/ gts rear brakes or they the same same?

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem
Most rear brakes are the same in the sense that they are all single piston. Until you get to the second gen hsv's and they started adding the 4 piston front and rear brakes. As for v8/hsv brakes I think they might have slightly bigger rotors at the rear. Vt onwards has 286mm rear rotors where as vn - vs have about 278mm.

Most people don't really upgrade their rear brakes and just upgrade the fronts. There's not a whole lot to gain. A front brake upgrade and slotted rotors all round with some decent pads will really increase your stopping power.

Not 100% sure if live axle brakes would bolt on to IRS. Wouldn't think so though?

nqrith

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
i know the vp Calais irs disc are shallower on the hub were the hand brake shoes sit. this would be due to the narrower width of the early irs setups. calipers are all the same from what i know

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Rotors are different and won't interchange.