Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

difference between SV6 and Calais?

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Running gear wise, they are almost identical aside from the ESP. There is no LSD with the Calais because of the ESP. Apparently the ESP system does not work with an LSD.

$20,500 with 80,000ks is reasonable. I spent about $22,000 for mine which had 75,000ks late last year. You are right, the cream leather interior is hard to find. From memory, I think the type of interior has a lot to do with the exterior colour of the car. White Calais' seem to have black leather interiors by default. I love the cream interior and it is definately worth waiting around for.

Good luck with your search. I don't think you would be disappointed. The VZ Calais is fantastic car and I am delighted with mine.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
i thought that the new VE's had ESP and an LSD?

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
My Calais has ESP and and LSD so it can be done.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
So is ESP different from traction control that the SV6 has? or does the Calais have both? argh confusing...

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
My dad has an '05 VZ Calais, I often drive it on weekends. I have an '05 VZ SV6... both are completely stock.

I think they are both great cars and very very similar. Really down to personal preference - whether you like the sporty look and feel of an SV6 or the features and luxury of a Calais.

To be quite honest, having driven both, mine drives A LOT better, and not just the way it handles or suspension feels, it actually gets up and goes that little bit better as well as sounding much better. It feels nice to get back in mine. (not exactly sure but I think the main reason for this is when they 'detuned' the 190's to meet emissions)

The Calais has extra stuff, but I personally would not upgrade just to get leather seats and a 6 stacker - at least not just for the sake of it.

I prefer the sporty look and feel of my SV6. And to me there is not much difference in sitting on leather or cloth nor do I see a real need to upgrade to dual zone climate control. UNLESS, I needed a new car anyway (and didn't have the money for a VE) or I preferred having the features over the drive

You really have to make the decision based on the drive of the individual car. But from the two at my house I'd take mine any day.

Sorry if I sound a bit blunt. I wouldn't spend the money on such small features unless I had to.

Good luck with the car hunting anyway.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
main reason is half of the things i would like to do to my SV6, are all easily available in most Calais' for sale. Hence the reason im looking at just getting one, rather than throw money at an SV6, and have a half way car, so to speak.

just some examples like, to do a leather retrim in the SV6, $2500. i also prefer the minor things such as the calais 3 digital window speedo, the different headlights and taillights, and the look without a rear wing.

To do all this to my SV6 and have it how i want it, i would basically have turned it into a Calais, only spent more money doing it, than if i just bought a Calais.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
So is ESP different from traction control that the SV6 has? or does the Calais have both? argh confusing...

Traction control and ESP are different systems.
To put it extremely simplistically traction helps a car gain traction in a straight line and stops spinning wheels etc..
ESP helps you keep traction while going around a corner, its a very clever system which uses the cars breaking and can brake individual wheels and will cut power when it senses your car is cornering to quickly and are going to or may lose control.
It can be turned off but it very rarely cuts in when Im driving unless I go a bit quick in the rain.
ESP incorporated traction control as well so its an all in one system in the Calais.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
ahhhh ok.

My mate has a VE SV6 ute and when he guns it around a corner sometimes the ESP turns itself off. Is this a fault, or is there some reasoning behind how it works?

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
In that case I'd say a Calais is a good idea.

My personal thought is that it isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant the effort and money (when I already have such a similar car)..

Then again, that's me, I have decided I'm not keeping mine too much longer - going to upgrade in the new year, otherwise some of the things you've mentioned would probably be on my to do list too.

So, yeah, if you were planning on doing all that anyway I'd say go for the Calais.

The Calais has ESP instead of traction control, main difference basically (to my knowledge) is that ESP allows the cars brake system to automatically brake individual wheels as needed to improve handling and steering control under all driving conditions (it monitors the drive) whereas Trac control prevents wheel spin under acceleration to help control when accelerating.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
There is no performance advantage for the SV6 over the Calais. They are identical cars when it comes to performance. It is up to your personal preference. If you like the sporty look and don't care for luxury, then the SV6 is your car. If you want luxury and a nice cruiser, then the Calais is your car.

As for dual zone climate control, it gets rubbished a lot but I find it very useful. When I am driving, I am doing the work so I generally like to have it cooler than my passengers. The electronic seats are great as well and if you have more than one driver, you can each have your own key which has memory settings for the seat position, mirrors and radio. If you are like me, you won't let anyone else touch your pride and joy so you may not need to worry about that :)

I never knew that the VZ Calais could have LSD. I never thought it was even an option. Thanks for for that andrewmac. Is there an easy way to check? I'm betting mine doesn't have it.