Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

difference between SV6 and Calais?

Kal123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 && 180sx
Man.. Im starting to want a Calais.

Anyone keen to swap one for an 05 Turismo Blue SV6? =D

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yeah if anyone has a white VZ Calais with the cream leather interior, and wants a white VZ SV6, lets talk! :p

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
Yeah, there's no difference in performance based on tech specs and I know they are the same engine and everything except again, I base my statement on the drive, mine definitely goes slightly harder and clearly a different exhaust note as it goes up the gears.

Does anyone know what was actually changed during the 'detuning' of the 190 alloytec? is that even what they did? I heard there is a slight difference in power between the two engines..??? (the earlier and later 190's)

Drive the two cars and I think you'll see what I mean. The exhaust note could be simply down to more sound deadening especially the carpet lined boot lid. That's my guess there anyway.

It COULD just be a combination of firmer suspension, low profile tyres and the exhaust note difference that is giving me the illusion of more power lol :D

I am in no way trying to sway your decision or trying to make the SV6 out to be any better than any other car if that's what it sounded like Hingo. Also my next car will most likely have the well criticized dual climate control as well as leather seats and the likes. I do like the extra features.

I think what I was trying to say is they are such similar cars that there is almost no point in (me at least) doing it BUT GTRwilson has his reasons and I agree, an upgrade is worthwhile here. If I didn't have an SV6 already and was in the market for a VZ I'd likely closely consider a Calais.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
yeah i actually wanted a Calais to begin with, but i didnt have the extra money for one, and i was without a car, so the second a decent priced SV6 came up i got it.(being the next best thing)

It has been a pain in the ass to find a Calais that has what i want in it as mentioned earlier, but ive noticed that this rare combination seems to be selling for more than other Calais'. I dont really think that a specific colour/interior combo should make the car $2000 dearer than its counter parts.

It appears that the seller isnt willing to lower their price to something im happy with, so looks like im still on the prowl for that rare and elusive, perfectly priced Calais with everything i want....

BRADV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
Yeah, I was pretty much set on an SV6 when I got mine. I really wanted a Turismo one but, same deal as you and the cream interior Calais - fairly rare and seemed to be priced a bit higher as well as having owners who weren't too willing to budge on price. Even the car yards seemed to value them more.

I would hang in there and wait to find exactly what you want if possible. I do regret jumping in and not waiting for exactly what I wanted in a way.

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
I never knew that the VZ Calais could have LSD. I never thought it was even an option. Thanks for for that andrewmac. Is there an easy way to check? I'm betting mine doesn't have it.

The only way I knew was from a tag on the diff
Here is what to look out for to tell if yours is LSD or not...

Attachments

• Picture 121.jpg
    Picture 121.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 218

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Cheers for that. I checked mine and it said something like High Performance which I assume means that its a standard diff.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Ive made an offer on the white Calais i like for $18,500. Butmoments after, i found a black calais with the LS1 for the same price and same cream leather interior ect :bang:

I would prefer the white calais(V6) but i dont think they will take $18,000 for it. Why is this so hard!?!?!?! :cry:

mas996

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
i prefer driving the calais too. based purely on feel and the creature comforts. i own an sv6 and brother owns a calais. the sv6 feels 'slightly' quicker in acceleration, and feels like it breaks better. it could be, or it could just be the harder suspension playing tricks on you. coz you feel more in touch with the road.

i love my sv6, but im a poor bastard so i cant boost it, not going to kid myself into thinking its fast, and doing lil things here and there, not much point. unfortunately i didnt think like this when i bought it, but hey its still awesome.

im just getting old (;-p) and am very impressed with how smooth the softer suspension is in the calais, and how pretty it is inside,leather, good air con, good factory sound system etc.

sv6 still looks better outside imo

at the end of the day, they are both mad cars, but comfortability helps win my vote for calais.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
i prefer driving the calais too. based purely on feel and the creature comforts. i own an sv6 and brother owns a calais. the sv6 feels 'slightly' quicker in acceleration, and feels like it breaks better. it could be, or it could just be the harder suspension playing tricks on you. coz you feel more in touch with the road.

i love my sv6, but im a poor bastard so i cant boost it, not going to kid myself into thinking its fast, and doing lil things here and there, not much point. unfortunately i didnt think like this when i bought it, but hey its still awesome.

im just getting old (;-p) and am very impressed with how smooth the softer suspension is in the calais, and how pretty it is inside,leather, good air con, good factory sound system etc.

sv6 still looks better outside imo

at the end of the day, they are both mad cars, but comfortability helps win my vote for calais.

The Calais would be a bit heavier than the SV6, which would work in favour of the SV6 with acceleration.

Similarly, the firmer SV6 suspension would assist with braking as it would provide a bit more resistance to nose dive under hard braking.