Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

difference between SV6 and Calais?

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Yes its another one if my threads for you to pick your brain over. :thumbsup:

I currently have a Dec' 05 VZ SV6 and im looking at upgrading to a 2006 VZ Calais MY06. What i want to know is the difference between the two? Such as, does this calais share the same drivetrain/engine ect as the SV6?(190KW?) Does the calais have a factory LSD and side airbags ect? what are the calais' worth? one im looking at is $20,500 neg. with 80,000klms. What should i expect to haggle down to? i was thinking 19K? or too low?

its hard to compare prices with others, as its one of the only ones that meets all/most of my criteria.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
GTR

The Calais shares the same engine as the SV6 (or can have a 5.7 or 6.0 litre V8 if you look hard enough. The V6 has a five speed auto only, the V8's came with the old four speed auto. You won't find a factory built manual VZ Calais.

I don't know about the LSD beind standard but I don't think it was. It might have been with the V8,

As far as equipment levels, the Calais had FE.5 suspension, a sort of mid way solution between standard and FE 2. Its handling was considered to be excellent as it was firmer than the standard set up but not as hard as the sports suspension. The Calais had standard full leather interior with additional sued trim on doors, dash and console, dual zone Climate Control, individual memory settings for each ignition key so that two drivers could set the car up to suit themselves and the car would adjust to the individual settings, depending on which ignition key was used.

Auto adjusting left hand mirror which dropped to show where the kerb was when reverse was selected, Reverse parking sensors, 8 x 17 inch alloys, unique body kit including SS sills and rear lower guard extensions, front spoiler, fog lamps, SS style headlights, illuminated vanity mirrors, memory seat settings, with 8 way power adjustment of both front seats 6 stack CD with 8 speakers, leather wheel, shifter and handbrake. It's a very full list and the Calais is a big step up in luxury from an SV6.

You can see on this forum that some members have bought their VZ Calais for well under 20k, so haggle if that one you have seen is worth it. Depending on distance travelled, between 17 and 20k is about the range, though some have been cheaper.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
according to redbook, its worth 20K-22K, im guessing this is because of the MY06. Where as i believe the original VZ calais are valued at about 18K-20K. But i find that redbook isnt always that accurate. Whats the go with the black or cream leather? Would one be worth more than the other? as ive noticed the cream harder to come by.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
according to redbook, its worth 20K-22K, im guessing this is because of the MY06. Where as i believe the original VZ calais are valued at about 18K-20K. But i find that redbook isnt always that accurate. Whats the go with the black or cream leather? Would one be worth more than the other? as ive noticed the cream harder to come by.

I don't know if one colour is worth more than the other, but it might be a case of one colour having more appeal to a particular buyer than the other. In that case say, you might think that cream is nicer and be prepared to pay a bit more to get it.

With the red book values, yolu needc to consider the current state of the economy. Used car prices are heavily depressed because new car prices are being cut to keep dealers in business. I would still say that even an 06 Calais would be available below 20k without too much searching.

Fishman88

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais 190KW A5 CHE TUNED
The cream leather is much nicer! the perfect combo soo its not soo dark inside the car. But black does look good too i would take the cream but. Calais is just all luxury and sv6 is sporty. Calaber explained it really well. I got mine for 18K wit 64000km on it the buyer needed deposit on house. The body kit of the calais looks sexc ass especially the foglights chrome surrounding sets it off!! and not to mention the tail light looks sexc asssssss!! but if u can find a 6.0L then go for it!! rare to find i could only find 5.7L

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
go SV6 !!!!
fit calais lights and extras and u got best of both worlds

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
there would be a hell of alot of extras to fit to an SV6 to make it a calais, too much.

im only after the 6 cyl model, its all i can drive. :bang: Its sooo hard to find a white VZ Calais with the cream leather interior. Finding one for a decent price is near on impossible. :(

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
go SV6 !!!!
fit calais lights and extras and u got best of both worlds

Doing that, he might as well go buy one.
Calais lights are bigger.

To the OP Is all up to ur preference, do u want a sporty look & luxury. keeping in ming the VZ Calais is one the border line between luxury & sport.
I my opinion i do like the Calais but u cant get in in 6 spd, so therefore i went the SV6.

GTRwilson

sell me your VY sigs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
im not fussed about it being an auto, id probably prefer it. If i was getting a V8 then thats another story, but seeing as im only after the V6 the auto will do.

So what exactly is less sporty about the calais? just the FE .5 suspension and possible no LSD?

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Overall appearance compared to the Calais, SV6 looks more like the SS.