Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference between vl turbo and non turbo pistons. Pics attached.

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
rb30det VL wagon project, VL series 200
Hi i just thought i would post this up to help the people who cant visually tell the difference between factory rb30 turbo pistons and the factory na pistons.
As you can see the turbo pistons (from an A8 motor) on the left are dished and this is to bring the compression ratio down to 7.8.1.
The pistons on the right are standard non turbo rb30 pistons which are in the majority of vl's and in all R31 skylines except of course those that have had a vl turbo motor conversion. As you can see they have a raised surface that is much the same shape as the vl turbo pistons except that it is raised not dished. In fact when i put the na pistons upside down on top of the turbo piston i think it nearly fit perfectly into the dished area. The comp ratio for rb30 non-turbo pistons is 9.0.1. hope this helps.

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 10,619

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
you dont need to change pistons when converting a n/a to turbo.
I don't understand what you are directing that at.. was that just a general statement?
Everyone knows that you don't need turbo pistons to convert your car to turbo. you will just have a higher compression turbo motor. this thread is just to show the visual difference of the turbo and non turbo pistons so anyone looking to buy a genuine turbo motor know what they're looking at if they have no idea.

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
The engine number will determine if its a turbo motor.

But good idea to show newbies to help explain and show newbies about turbo conversions and compresion ratio

88-SERIES200

Reaction score
Members Ride
The engine number will determine if its a turbo motor.

But good idea to show newbies to help explain and show newbies about turbo conversions and compresion ratio

Yeah exactly. this should help since you have some people who are dodgy and rebuild blown A8 motors with na pistons, try to re-stamp A6 blocks, or try to advertise and sell series 2 na blocks as turbo motors for premium prices to those who are unaware of the factory stamping system.

lukee1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 2001 3.8 lt
Yeah exactly. this should help since you have some people who are dodgy and rebuild blown A8 motors with na pistons, try to re-stamp A6 blocks, or try to advertise and sell series 2 na blocks as turbo motors for premium prices to those who are unaware of the factory stamping system.
Please explain I'm 1 if these who are unaware of the factory stamping system