Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference in Colour Engines?? VK

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
Hey guys,

Just wondering, i have heard ppl talkin about Blue, Black, Red engines in the VK's i think it was, what is the difference between them?? I seriously have no idea :p

Any help apriciated :D

CHeers,
Francis:thumbsup:

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
g day mate
ive heard that the black motors were the worst,
but not to sure about the reds nd blues nd whatever else there is.
yer thats all i heard about em.
why did u wana no? just curiosity or u thinking of buying one

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
na mate, just curiosity, dont have a clue what people are talkin about when they say that....i want a VS :p But it'll be a while yet till i get it!! Would it just be internals the difference?? And what models were the in?? And how did they come up with the colours?? Is it the colour of the engine cover, or just something out there??

Sabby

MSABBY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU SS FIFTY
umm not to sure mate sorry.
but my mechanic told me about this dude who had a new vk, with a black motor, thats done 60.000 kms and a few weeks later he was in with a shot engine. so yer i dont really no wat goes on. but i jus heard the black ones arnt the best.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Well, the red motor was first, I don't know much about that...

Then came the blue motor, which had a 12 port head, instead of a 9, electronic dizzy and was only available in 173 and 202.

The black motor came next which was basically a blue motor, but had the option of EFI, and different exhaust set-up. Same size, but different fit.

There are probably more differences, but that's all I can i think of at the moment, I hope it helped!

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Red motors were in the 1970's in the HQ's HX's etc. They basically had no pollution gear on them like the Blue and Black motors do. The Blue motors were introduced with the VB Commodore and the Black motors came out with the VK's in carburettor and EFI motors. Basically the black motor is the best of the lot. Exhaust manifolds are interchangable with the red and bllue I think, but not the black. The black motor had a head change for better performance and a couple of other things I can't think of. As for colours, they had to be identified, so I guess that came up with Red, Blue and Black.

And to really confuse you, before all those, back in the 1960's and maybe? before, they had Grey motors which were smaller 6 cylinders and pretty crappy. :)

:thumbsup:

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
And to really confuse you, before all those, back in the 1960's and maybe? before, they had Grey motors which were smaller 6 cylinders and pretty crappy. :)

:thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Grey motor start waaaaaay back in 1948 with the introduction of the 48/215 (FX)?

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
i dont know 100% but by what i was told the red's went until the vb then they started the blue in the vc and that went until the vh then the black in the vk....
not 100% so yeah haha hope im right. anyways l8rzzz have fun people:D:D:D