Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difference in Colour Engines?? VK

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I am quite sure you are correct.

Miz_Statto#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman
Well, the red motor was first, I don't know much about that...

Then came the blue motor, which had a 12 port head, instead of a 9, electronic dizzy and was only available in 173 and 202.

The black motor came next which was basically a blue motor, but had the option of EFI, and different exhaust set-up. Same size, but different fit.

There are probably more differences, but that's all I can i think of at the moment, I hope it helped!

Wrong all wrong.. grey was first !!
They added the colour for the fun of it, cos grey was plain, and easier to identify the different engines. Black and Blue is what you want. Reds basic, Grey's way old school, 70s ...

and if ya have a HZ or something the grey come out of (which don't really exist anymore cos the old fella threw them over the shoulder)
and in with a 208/304/308/355 .... Thats what I know

I just found a 202 blue in a VK shell
Pretty stoked just have to wait to pass boarder NSW to grab it.. when we can obviously

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Wrong all wrong.. grey was first !!
They added the colour for the fun of it, cos grey was plain, and easier to identify the different engines. Black and Blue is what you want. Reds basic, Grey's way old school, 70s ...

and if ya have a HZ or something the grey come out of (which don't really exist anymore cos the old fella threw them over the shoulder)
and in with a 208/304/308/355 .... Thats what I know

I just found a 202 blue in a VK shell
Pretty stoked just have to wait to pass boarder NSW to grab it.. when we can obviously
It was a bit rough digging 14years for that. But to clear it up, greys are older than you say. HQ had the red6 and hz was after that. Less emissions stuff on red, elec ign and better head on blue. EFI on black.
When identifying the year of the block, the date code/pour date will advise the year as a single digit, and the colour helps with decade. Red 7 is 77, blue 7 is 87.
Commo's had blue and black (VK) only. Never reds.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yep. :( Another controversial post for a bit of notoriety by somebody who seems to know SFA about Holden history.
If I stated that the grey engine was used from the 48-215 to the EJ models, the response would probably be ... "Err, what ?"

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Probably missed the bit about it been in a VK which as Duece rightly pointed out should only ever be blue/black (unless it was the VK i put a red 202 into from a HQ ute when the original engine expired).

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
very holden like to still be making 1964 tec, in 1985 they must of gotten the vk efi stuff cheap to lumber that on us. I think the original question was about the vk efi 6, the black 3.3 with red rocker cover. I should of kept all the air pumps I took off they might be worth something now. Pretty much the only engine my oldman ever wanted to work on .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I kind of like the 208 and 355's he found....Wonder what colour they are and how he knows they were that size.....Never seen them stamped on the blocks....:rolleyes:

Do I also be a smart ass and say, there's no such thing as a blue 202? :rolleyes:

Oh well, digging a 14 year old thread is definately worth the notority :)