Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
what is a bi-modal intake and where is it located and look like, compared to the bimodal exhausts?

It in between the actual intake box and the engine. There is a flap that changes the routing of the incoming air.
Supposedly it was put in to increase torque low down and power high up.

I've got it in mine, doesn't open until 4k ish. I can't say I've paid particular attention it. Perhaps if I as a passenger I'd notice it, but who wants to do that!

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
it is different air duct attached to standard airbox with a valve that opens and closes based on revs etc.

https://m.facebook.com/HoldenSpecialVehicles/photos/a.110722419466/10151904909149467/?type=3

hmm interesting, never knew about this. I got the HSV air intake pipe fitted to my LS3 Holde (which removes the box and send the pipe straight to the butterfly)

would i be able to purchase this and install it in a Holden or not? because it is linked to extra part of the loom or ECU?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
hmm interesting, never knew about this. I got the HSV air intake pipe fitted to my LS3 Holde (which removes the box and send the pipe straight to the butterfly)

would i be able to purchase this and install it in a Holden or not? because it is linked to extra part of the loom or ECU?

they can be purchased from Planet Parts i think and ebay at times...
I understand it is linked to EDI
Not worth the effort for questionable gain...

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
http://beta.redbook.com.au/compare/?ids=SPOT-ITM-430742,SPOT-ITM-304223,SPOT-ITM-331570

In the link above, there are 3 cars, 1 VF2 Redline Wagon, 2 x Clubsport Wagons.

In each of these 3 cars, they use the LS3 but ultimately, they are a fair bit different.

Does anyone know what is different about each of the 3 different LS3 Engines?

Just how much better is the 325kw LS3 engine?

Thanks
Marginal engine tune differences, extractors rather than log headers along with some other minor things. But probably the largest difference is that Holden use a different horsepower measurement standard than HSV. The slight variation in standards would mean, like for like, HSV would show a larger KW output (can’t remember the standards though, maybe SAE gross verses ECE net but probably a footnote in the brochures... as is, comparing PS, CV, CH, HP, KW all depends on what standard was used for measurement, whether gross or net, imperial or metric... it’s a mess...).

Best to simply buy the car you like the look and colour of and can afford as you’ll likely mod it anyway. So the starting point, engine wise, won’t mean much in such mod scenarios :p

Exited to add: this article and comments within a reasonable interesting.

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Marginal engine tune differences, extractors rather than log headers along with some other minor things. But probably the largest difference is that Holden use a different horsepower measurement standard than HSV. The slight variation in standards would mean, like for like, HSV would show a larger KW output (can’t remember the standards though, maybe SAE gross verses ECE net but probably a footnote in the brochures... as is, comparing PS, CV, CH, HP, KW all depends on what standard was used for measurement, whether gross or net, imperial or metric... it’s a mess...).

Best to simply buy the car you like the look and colour of and can afford as you’ll likely mod it anyway. So the starting point, engine wise, won’t mean much in such mod scenarios :p

True

Only 20kw difference between holden rated 304kw vs hsv rated 340kw...
That means SS series 2 is actually about 325kw in hsv language...

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
True

Only 20kw difference between holden rated 304kw vs hsv rated 340kw...
That means SS series 2 is actually about 325kw in hsv language...
Yes in the motor vehicle world, Holden 304kw = HSV 325kw :p

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
they can be purchased from Planet Parts i think and ebay at times...
I understand it is linked to EDI
Not worth the effort for questionable gain...
ok thanks. I think I found another thread showing something is different and might be worth the purchase and removing the flap so it is constantly allowing more airflow?