Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
ok thanks. I think I found another thread showing something is different and might be worth the purchase and removing the flap so it is constantly allowing more airflow?

Someone pointed out that under 4000rpm you would probably lose some torque down low if constantly open...
It was explained well but can't find it now

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
ok thanks. I think I found another thread showing something is different and might be worth the purchase and removing the flap so it is constantly allowing more airflow?

Depends what you are after I guess.

Why not just go for an over the radiator intake if you're after more power?
I'm having a think about what to do to mine. I quite like the sound it makes, but heard that OTR is even better.. need to hunt round for some vids.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Depends what you are after I guess.

Why not just go for an over the radiator intake if you're after more power?
I'm having a think about what to do to mine. I quite like the sound it makes, but heard that OTR is even better.. need to hunt round for some vids.
I'm trying to keep factory look, but use all factory advantages.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Someone pointed out that under 4000rpm you would probably lose some torque down low if constantly open...
It was explained well but can't find it now
ah right ok, so no good open all the time. wonder how to rig it up so it opens at 3,000rpm

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
ah right ok, so no good open all the time. wonder how to rig it up so it opens at 3,000rpm
Piece of string attached to it and every time you hit 3000rpm you pull the string hahahhaah

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Piece of string attached to it and every time you hit 3000rpm you pull the string hahahhaah

tenor.gif

bradp51

Reaction score
Members Ride
OCT 2017 VF2 SSV Redline - Light My Fire
what is a bi-modal intake and where is it located and look like, compared to the bimodal exhausts?

From my understanding it does nothing for power it just brings induction noise into the cabin. BMW do it also but put their sound thru the speakers. Look where the tube goes. Straight into the firewall in front of the driver. In a SS Redline with bi modal when you select the bi modal setting on sport or loud or what ever it is, it also lets that valve open. Mine seems to get noisy after 2000 rpm.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
From my understanding it does nothing for power it just brings induction noise into the cabin. BMW do it also but put their sound thru the speakers. Look where the tube goes. Straight into the firewall in front of the driver. In a SS Redline with bi modal when you select the bi modal setting on sport or loud or what ever it is, it also lets that valve open. Mine seems to get noisy after 2000 rpm.
You're referring to the mechanical sound enhancer (MSE). The bimodal intake fitted to certain HSV's actually opens to allow more airflow and possibly cooler air too, into the airbox via a valve / flap. They should have routed the aircon through it! ;)

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
True

Only 20kw difference between holden rated 304kw vs hsv rated 340kw...
That means SS series 2 is actually about 325kw in hsv language...

Yes read / heard their kw readings were read different and that therefore holdens 304kw was closer to hsvs 340kw

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Ls3 gets a reasonable sized stock cam from the factory,204/211 dur, 551/525 lift, 117 lsa as opposed to the 6.0 cam,196/208 dur, .476/.466 lift, 116lsa.
That would be why stock ls3 sound better with an exhaust.
Maybe why they run at least 3.27 gears with the ls3 motor,it would be a slug off the mark with the stock stall and 2.92 diff gears while running the slightly larger factory cam.