Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Differences with VF Electronic Bimodals.

frbtofdth

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice
I'm based in the states and need some help from you peeps down unda. Are all the VF electronic bimodals the same internally? I've been listening to some videos on Youtube and to me it seems as if there's quite a range in volume. Is this due to resonators and mid-mufflers or lack thereof, or internal construction? The Commodore ssv seems closest to what we got here in the states, the Chevy SS, and seems to have the loudest exhaust note, while the HSV Gen F Maloo and GTS sedan seem to be quite a bit quieter. The reason I'm asking is I want to retrofit some to my WN Caprice PPV using the guide posted on here, and can get the HSV electronic mufflers cheaper through ebay.au than locally. The Maloo ones even have the two bolt flange for a direct bolt on, so I'd rather use those, but don't want to get them and have them be too quiet. Thoughts?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
depending on what hsv ones you were listening to, the earlier ones were vacuum operated not electric.

but otherwise id imagine both electric versions would be the same.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think the difference will be the 'Baillie Tip' on the Holden mufflers.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'm pretty sure the VF2 and HSV bimodal mufflers are the same internally, but the X-pipe in the HSV midpipe and fibreglass packed hotdogs changes the note from the VF2 midpipe. The HSV systems I think sound less like a V8 and more of an inline 6 type of note midrange. The VF2 system I think seems louder in the car than HSV systems with the bimodal valves open.

bimodal 3.jpg

frbtofdth

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice
I'm pretty sure the VF2 and HSV bimodal mufflers are the same internally, but the X-pipe in the HSV midpipe and fibreglass packed hotdogs changes the note from the VF2 midpipe.
I thought so too but couldn't find any proper undercarriage photos to verify. I guess I'll bite the bullet and get em, and see how they turn out.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
I'm pretty sure the VF2 and HSV bimodal mufflers are the same internally, but the X-pipe in the HSV midpipe and fibreglass packed hotdogs changes the note from the VF2 midpipe. The HSV systems I think sound less like a V8 and more of an inline 6 type of note midrange. The VF2 system I think seems louder in the car than HSV systems with the bimodal valves open.

View attachment 234128

not according to my neighbour with his SS VF2 versus my GenF HSV.... he complains mine is way louder than his with the valves open
.. tells me every morning he knows what time I start up and leave for work ;)

and mid range... like a 6? bwahahaha spent time driving thru parts of the Great Divide a week ago
mostly 2nd and 3rd gear 3500-5000 and the noise was bewdiful!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I have a 2.5 inch mid pipe on my Redline and standard mid pipe 2.25 inch on the Director. The Redline is louder and hums more but I actually prefer the sound of the Director without the hum especially when the engine is cold. I'm thinking of changing it back to standard.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I have a 2.5 inch mid pipe on my Redline and standard mid pipe 2.25 inch on the Director. The Redline is louder and hums more but I actually prefer the sound of the Director without the hum especially when the engine is cold. I'm thinking of changing it back to standard.
"Hum" is a good description with the HSV midpipe vs the SS which is a more separated old school note and a bit more raspy.

mid range... like a 6?
X-pipes with a large blend area like the R8 turns a dual system note into a single exhaust note with "hum" like an inline 6 as Anthony121 described. V8 Supercars have X-pipes and are high pitched and don't sound like a Speedway Sprintcar with each bank separated and no crossover. H-pipe exhausts have much more separation mid range or traditional V8 note than an X-pipe or single system.