Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Different Harmonic Balancers For 1995 and 1996 Difference

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I have a 1995 VS Commodore Berlina sedan and I did a swap out of the harmonic balancer into my other VS which is a 1996 VS sedan and it worked great and went on with out much fuss or trouble and I bought another harmonic balancer and I asked for a 1995 one but I dont remember if the wreckers said if there was a difference or not and now I cant put the harminic balancer on and I dont know what year the motor is from as it was swapped out some time ago, so my question is is there a difference between a 1995 and a 1996 harmonic balancer and how do you tell what year motor you have in the car?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The old school Buick 3.8L (VN-VR) is different to the updated Ecotec Buick 3.8L (VS onwards).

Don't go by year, go by model and you'll be fine. 95 was the changeover year.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The old school Buick 3.8L (VN-VR) is different to the updated Ecotec Buick 3.8L (VS onwards).

Don't go by year, go by model and you'll be fine. 95 was the changeover year.

VN is different to VR but yes they changed again with the introduction of the Eco. A bloke on here a while back bought a VR one expecting it to fit his VS.... I thought the series 2 onwards had a different HB?? You might need to check your engine number to ensure you get the right one.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
No. VN-VR is the same balancer. VS-VY is the same balancer, there are only two for n/a v6 buicks. You think, I know :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not exactly, early VN is different to later VN. Not that it matters to the OP's question.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Correct. There were at least 5 variations across all models but fundamentally 2 unique balancers. For replacement purposes there are only the two.

I'm a strong advocate for the KISS principle :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Correct. There were at least 5 variations across all models but fundamentally 2 unique balancers. For replacement purposes there are only the two.

I'm a strong advocate for the KISS principle :)

Good to know that the new ones are same across all Buick if I ever have to replace another one. Parts bloke took a while finding mine in his book and computer because he had different part numbers for VN to early VP then different part number again for the VR. Means I might be able to shop around for a cheaper one since all of the Buick ones will fit.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just to complicate matters, for the 3800 V6 there were a number of different weight balance shafts fitted which may have an influence on the overall engine balance and hence the need for different balancers on the front.

If you have the engine number take it with you as well as the chassis number, if there was a change the parts book listings should have it broken down by engine number sequence. I don't see it been a problem with the VS though.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Finally found them. These are oem parts; n and non n - so 7 variations.
VN, VP I 3.8L HB1083-N
VP II, VR II 3.8L HB1207-N
VS 3.8L V6 HB1237-N
VT, VX, VY 3.8L V6 HB1434

So avoid oem and get a powerbond (or similar) of which there are two because oem couldn't get their **** together. That said I've mixed and matched over the years without issue. It's a Buick lol not a Maserati

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, fairly much spot on. My old VN never ran smoother except when I put on a Powerbond race spec balancer (with the balance shaft removed).

IHMO the OEM spec balancer is a POS.