Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

different muffler = different sound? (not exhaust)

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
Hey all,

Got a 2.5" catback system with center muffler and no resi. I like the sound but wouldn't mind it being louder as it is rather quiet, I want it to be head turning *insert joke about 'cops head turning'*. Like how you hear a loud lancer go by your house, is that possible for a VS V6? NOTE: I don't want it to sound like a lancer exhaust, just as loud as they are. (Just using Lancer as an example as one drove by my house when i was trying to think of how to describe it lol maybe if i can get my car to sound like a big ole muscle Torana or a chevy impalla)

My thought was that I could get the muffler replaced maybe with another size? my muffler looks rather large at the moment so maybe if that were smaller than the sound would be louder? anyone changed the muffler on their car for sound?

help

advice

thanks

Last edited:

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
personally i find lancers with exhausts to be a waste of money. to answer your question changing the muffler will change the sound but it probably wont be head turning unless you take it out, and even still it will be for the wrong reasons. invest in a decent but cheap cat-back or better yet if finances permit buy a set of pacemakers and a complete exhasut system.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
personally i find lancers with exhausts to be a waste of money. to answer your question changing the muffler will change the sound but it probably wont be head turning unless you take it out, and even still it will be for the wrong reasons. invest in a decent but cheap cat-back or better yet if finances permit buy a set of pacemakers and a complete exhasut system.

I already got a good 2.5" catback system with just a center muffler, was thinking about extractors on it as well. heard there is no point in hi flows or whatever on a V6 ecotec though. I was just thinking that having a smaller muffler put on would make it sound louder yeah? just dunno what size i should go for. is it possible to replace a center muffler with a hotdog? LOL

chrisdoesitbetter

| → ³8°º™ ← |
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L
anything is possible, but with the right parts and setup you cna actually get a nice tune out of the ecotecs. i would say buy some extractors and see how you like it. and if you have the money buy a cam kit, this will make it sound lumpy and give you a noticable amount of power aswell.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Hey all,

Got a 2.5" catback system with center muffler and no resi. I like the sound but wouldn't mind it being louder as it is rather quiet, I want it to be head turning *insert joke about 'cops head turning'*. Like how you hear a loud lancer go by your house, is that possible for a VS V6?

My thought was that I could get the muffler replaced maybe with another size? my muffler looks rather large at the moment so maybe if that were smaller than the sound would be louder? anyone changed the muffler on their car for sound?

help

advice

thanks

lol a stock v6 with a loud exhuast that will head turn alright and they pay out on you for it sounding ****

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Do some research on the net about mufflers. Different muffler design will have different sounds like a chamber style muffler will produce more lower grumbly sound and a straight through design will sound different. And any lancer with a loud Exhaust does not sound good.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey all,

Got a 2.5" catback system with center muffler and no resi. I like the sound but wouldn't mind it being louder as it is rather quiet, I want it to be head turning *insert joke about 'cops head turning'*. Like how you hear a loud lancer go by your house, is that possible for a VS V6?

help

advice

thanks

Here you go mate, replace sections of the exhaust as necesary with this:

It should get your car sounding just as loud as a lancer.

Attachments

• storm-pipe250.jpg
    storm-pipe250.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 447

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual

PVC Pipe Huh?

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II

... funny... you don't have to be a d*ck about my question bro.