Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

different width wheels and flat bottom steering wheels?

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
yep they have to adhere to the laws still, but usually they make a way around as said above, still within the law ;)

They have to check the beam of light from the number plate light even to make sure it complies ;)

D.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
1991_Vn2nV said:
Must be...

I know they have stretched the laws for imported vehicles... such as Skylines etc., they only need to meet window tint requirements from Japan (20 grade all round) instead of our more strict regulations...

I mean they cant very well defect a high production australian built car can they?
They don't stretch the rules much for imports. All grey imports have to be substantially modified before being registered in Australia. This can include new seat belts, added side intrusion bars, new wheels & tyres, altered rear view and side mirrors and windscreen glass. Cars that have been heavily modified in Japan need to be returned to stock before being registered. That's why they're still expensive (relative to NZ, for instance).

Car manufacturers can have certain aspects "deemed to comply" with ADRs by undertaking extensive testing. This sort of thing costs car makers and importers of foreign new cars a lot of money, because Australian rules are very tough. We often don't get certain versions of cars in Oz becuase it would be too expensive to comply them.

There's definitely no problem with anything fitted to a factory Commodore - the guys at Holden would know the rule book inside out, and they wouldn't be permitted to release a car without passing all ADR's first.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
klaw81 said:
They don't stretch the rules much for imports. All grey imports have to be substantially modified before being registered in Australia. This can include new seat belts, added side intrusion bars, new wheels & tyres, altered rear view and side mirrors and windscreen glass. Cars that have been heavily modified in Japan need to be returned to stock before being registered. That's why they're still expensive (relative to NZ, for instance).

Car manufacturers can have certain aspects "deemed to comply" with ADRs by undertaking extensive testing. This sort of thing costs car makers and importers of foreign new cars a lot of money, because Australian rules are very tough. We often don't get certain versions of cars in Oz becuase it would be too expensive to comply them.

There's definitely no problem with anything fitted to a factory Commodore - the guys at Holden would know the rule book inside out, and they wouldn't be permitted to release a car without passing all ADR's first.

What I said was correct. Cars imported from Japan must comply with the following guidelines regarding tint and windows:
• Japanese Industrial Standard JIS R 3211-1979 Safety Glasses for Road Vehicles

Cars imported from Britian must comply with the following guidelines regarding tint and windows:
• British Standard BS 857:1967 Specification for Safety Glass for Land Transport
• British Standard BS 5282:1975 Road Vehicle Safety Glass
• British Standard BS AU178:1980 Road Vehicle Safety Glass

Cars imported from America must comply with these guidelines regarding tint and windows:
• American National Standard ANSI Z26.1-1980 Safety Code for Safety Glazing Materials for Glazing Motor Vehicles Operating on Land Highway.

However this does not mean they can be whatever they like. They must still stick to strict regulations and guidelines, however some things such as windows can be to the regulations from that country, rather than our own strict regulations.

Last edited:

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think this clears the question up regarding the steering wheel:

Passenger cars and derivatives manufactured on or after 1st January, 1971 have been fitted with steering wheels and steering columns which are designed to minimise injuries to the driver in vehicle collisions. The only steering wheel that may be used is the one recommended by the vehicle manufacturer as an approved part.
Transport SA will consider the fitting of a non standard steering wheel provided an engineering report, prepared by a Chartered Professional Engineer is presented which is able to demonstrate that the replacement steering wheel meets the requirements of applicable ADRs for that vehicle.

Therefore, if its Factory, its ok! It can be anything the manufacturer wants it to be.

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
1991_Vn2nV said:
What I said was correct. Cars imported from Japan must comply with the following guidelines regarding tint and windows:
• Japanese Industrial Standard JIS R 3211-1979 Safety Glasses for Road Vehicles
I'm not arguing with you...you're almost certainly correct. I just wanted to point out that there are an awful lot of things that DO have to be changed, and sometimes (depending on the model and factory spec) this includes glass.

There's very little flexibility in our ADR's, but in some cases the guidelines of another country are "deemed to comply."

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
klaw81 said:
I'm not arguing with you...you're almost certainly correct. I just wanted to point out that there are an awful lot of things that DO have to be changed, and sometimes (depending on the model and factory spec) this includes glass.

There's very little flexibility in our ADR's, but in some cases the guidelines of another country are "deemed to comply."

Ah ok cool :thumbsup: When it comes to SA guidelines especially where the MAXIMUM window tint allowable for front windows is 70 grade or 70% its pretty damn harsh. Rear windows are 35%. But alot of Japanese cars etc. are well over the front window limit stock... Our window tint laws especially astound me... They make no sense in my opinion.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
Our window tint laws especially astound me... They make no sense in my opinion.

There is a lot to be said for being able to see the occupants of a car. Makes things like kidnapping, talking on mobile when driving (not hands free), un-restrained passengers (it really pisses me off when I see kids in the back seats moving around freely, what the fark are parents thinking?!) and any other illegal activity easy to spot. Also, believe it or not having tinted windows actually does reduce visibilty, the darker it is, the harder it is for the driver to have 100% situational awareness. For example, do you see ANY race cars (other than rally cars because theirs are ALWAYS solo runs) with tinted windows?

As far as I know, it's for reasons such as this that we have window tint laws.

Scotty_Doesn't_Know

Don't Tell Scotty...
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE Calais
1991_Vn2nV said:
True.. but what about things like Window Sox etc.. those things to block out the sun for babies etc. in cars.

Cant see in or out AT ALL yet they are legal...

Not on the front windows they're not...