Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Differential identifying help

VE1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Caprice V8
Hi guys

I have a vz and a while ago I upgraded to a new diff. Now these blokes did not mention to me whether it was an m78 they were giving to me or m80 that was a fully rebuilt lsd diff.

Now I got a truetrac which I want to get installed but am not sure if mine is an m80

I've done a bit of research and have heard that if that diff identification tag says " High Performance " that it is most likely an m80, is this true?

Also when he sold the differential he also told me it has been installed with 3.91 diff gears. Which I have also read up that if your differential is an m80 then the available gears are 3.46 3.71 3.91 etc and that if it's m78 it would only be able to have 3.45 3.7 3.9 or something along the lines with that..

And now I have a feeling that the diff builder doesn't know the difference and thinks it's the other way around and gave me an m78.. I hope not

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There should be a sticker on the side of the diff which should tell you exactly what it is.

VE1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Caprice V8
Yeah unfortunately there's no sticker haha

Calais5l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp Calais & vb sle
I thought vp to vs were all the m78 and then by went 4 bolt flange with 8" crown wheel in the m80 then by on were all m80 with the 3 bolt and rubber coupling

If it retains the 3 bolt flange I can't see why he would of sold you a m78 with a changed pinion and smaller crown wheel etc etc seems like too much of a f about

From memory my vp m78 had a smaller filler than the m80 but I'm old and memory is fading

VE1994

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Caprice V8
Yes well you are right there I do have 3 bolt triangle flange and rubber donut! I agree with you and hope he didn't build me a v6 diff ...

Unless what you're saying is even tho if it was a v6 diff and came out of for example a vt it must be m80?

What a headache.. I would open it up and check for myself but I don't have the tools and time to do so

I thought by knowing it says high performance diff and 3.91s that is has to be an m80 cause m78s have 3.90 ratio and you just relieved a bit more stress by what you said, thank you :)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The 3 bolt flange would suggest a later model M80. The early M80 diffs (VT's, I think the change over was during the VX run) still used the older 4 bolt flange coupling on the drive shaft.

Can you take a couple of pics of the diff from different angles? Might be able to see the difference.