Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Differentials And Centres

G

grover

Topic Split from For Sale thread.

I moved it as what's mentioned is good information all the same.

Cheers

Jake.

QUOTE (amshaw @ Jan 15 2004, 10:50 AM)

The diff has me a little worred though,  did a search and would be up for appox $500 for a S/H center.

andrew,you should be able to find a diff centre cheaper than that.get one out of a falcon,everyone one knows that ford gear is worth nothing.they are the same as the commodore diff.all borg warner 4 pinion.plus the fords use the 308 ratio as well,which is what the calais should be.

mr-spares

Reaction score
Members Ride
HRT UTE 355 supercharged
I can do an exchange 3.08 diff for the VP for $350. With new carrier bearings and seals. Ford have a 3.23 diff as well that fit in the Commodores. The VL 3.45 is better for launch but are prone to being a noisy diff ratio.

Tony.

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Excuse my lack of knowlege here (mechanically challenged), but the hell is the diff? I have no idea what it is or what its used for, just seen the term used many times before.

Andy

G

grover

andy,the diff or differential is the large roundish looking thing in your rear axle,between the wheels.the motor turns the gearbox,gearbox turns the tailshaft which turns the diff,which turns the axles which turn your back wheels.wont get far without it!!!!

fourstar82

Head Chef Honcho
Reaction score
Website
s31.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
Right, thankyou for clearing that up will have to go investigate that now!

Andy