Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Differing wheel sizes

damageinc.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1
hey everyone, i have a question that that im sure one of you can answer pretty quickly for me so here goes.
Ok, so i bought a new set of 4,15x7 interceptors a few weeks ago, the dillemma is that my current 15x6 stocks have new tyres at the front (back rubber is non existant), and i dont wanna ditch the tyres since that would be such a waste. I read a thread on this site about a guy who painted his 15x6 stockies "gm rally silver", which is the same colour as genuine interceptors. I was originally gonna do this, since it is cost effective and looked good, but i wanted wider rims.
The question is: should i stick on the 15*7's on the back and paint the 15*6's the silver and leave them on the front? Will this somehow damage anything or make the car less safe? Ive seen plenny of people with 18s on the front with 15s on the rear. Ive even got someone lined up to buy the other 2 rims if this works out.

any help would be greatly appreciated

uteman

Ford Rules
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 Ute
skinnys on the front fats on the back thats the way we did it in the old days

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
It should be fine. It won't damage anything by doing that. Just remember your spare will be a slightly different size if you have a puncture. I'm not sure if it's defectable to have different sized tyres on the same axle for any length of time, but people still do it. I know of a VY Calais that has been running round on a space saver for at least 4 months now!

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
damageinc. said:
hey everyone, i have a question that that im sure one of you can answer pretty quickly for me so here goes.
Ok, so i bought a new set of 4,15x7 interceptors a few weeks ago, the dillemma is that my current 15x6 stocks have new tyres at the front (back rubber is non existant), and i dont wanna ditch the tyres since that would be such a waste. I read a thread on this site about a guy who painted his 15x6 stockies "gm rally silver", which is the same colour as genuine interceptors. I was originally gonna do this, since it is cost effective and looked good, but i wanted wider rims.
The question is: should i stick on the 15*7's on the back and paint the 15*6's the silver and leave them on the front? Will this somehow damage anything or make the car less safe? Ive seen plenny of people with 18s on the front with 15s on the rear. Ive even got someone lined up to buy the other 2 rims if this works out.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Like Uteman said, skinny's on the front, fats on the back. Should be fine, If you're running a different sized tyre on the 15*7 than on the 15*6's it may look a bit odd, but as long as the two front tyres are the same diameter and the two rear's are the same diameter it should be fine. If you run two different sized tyres on the rear axle you will slowly make your diff unhappy, unless it's an LSD in which case it will be fairly immediately unhappy. Two different sized tyres on the front would just feel really weird.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I drove my old Mazda 626 with a 17*7.5 on the front left, and a 14*6 on the front right, for about 4 months without the cops asking twice. (FWD, too.) So I wouldn't even worry about having a 6" spare on the back for a few days. :)

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Morton said:
I drove my old Mazda 626 with a 17*7.5 on the front left, and a 14*6 on the front right, for about 4 months without the cops asking twice. (FWD, too.) So I wouldn't even worry about having a 6" spare on the back for a few days. :)

yeah as long as the rolling radius is fairly similar it's ok. If not, then your diff will not like you.

VY2ENJOY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Family Truckster
Why dont you whack the tyres from the 15x6's on to two of the 15x7's, or are all 4 of the new tyres good and you just want to use up the two good ones on the 6" rims first? in which case sticking em' on the front will be fine.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
technically, fronts work as a pair, rears work as a pair. as long as you don't go out 50mm from each size (known as the 2 inch rule) up or down. In theory, on a car that come stock with 17s (for instance, a VT SS) you can run 19s on the front, and 15s on the rear, and obviously the reverse (like anyone would)

however, you are ment to have each pair the exact same sizes 225/17/50 or whatever, and the same tread pattern.