Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Differnce bettwem Dual Mass or Soild Mass

matth4ck3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore VX II V6 3.8L
i am currently in the process of doing Auto to Manual conversion.

And Ive done some reading about the solid mass flywheels and i heard they make some sort of rattle is that all the time or just when u frist take off and how loud would it be ?
or should i just put the dual mass flywheel back into it which is its original type of flywheel ??

any help on this would be great

SUSVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S PAC
Mine has a solid in it n It rattles to the point where I feel embarrassed but then when people ask n u tell them your car is manual u feel special lol

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Sick with the d/mass, u wont regret it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
Sick with the d/mass, u wont regret it.

Yes you will when comes time to do a clutch change and you have to pay for a new flywheel

Converted to solid mass in my vy when i did the supercharged conversion and it's fine. You get a slight noise sometimes when you take off but it's nothing really.
The noise is mostly if you don't take off well and the car bogs down.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
i am currently in the process of doing Auto to Manual conversion.

And Ive done some reading about the solid mass flywheels and i heard they make some sort of rattle is that all the time or just when u frist take off and how loud would it be ?
or should i just put the dual mass flywheel back into it which is its original type of flywheel ??

any help on this would be great

I found this an interesting read.
Dual Mass Flywheel

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
Yes you will when comes time to do a clutch change and you have to pay for a new flywheel

Converted to solid mass in my vy when i did the supercharged conversion and it's fine. You get a slight noise sometimes when you take off but it's nothing really.
The noise is mostly if you don't take off well and the car bogs down.

I rather spend a little more (when i have to) and drive a quiet comfortable car instead of a rattling,vibrating noisy truck.Cause price is the one and only benefit you can get when switching from DMF to SMF.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY s m5 supercharged
I rather spend a little more (when i have to) and drive a quiet comfortable car instead of a rattling,vibrating noisy truck.Cause price is the one and only benefit you can get when switching from DMF to SMF.

Do you have a SMF in your car??? What's your experance ???

I had a DMF then converted to a SMF so i know both and in my car which I'll show anyone it's 99% as good as the factory item regarding noise/rattles or vibration.