Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

differnce between Vy series 1 and 2 Calais?

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 Vf SV6 Jungle Fever
Hi all, can anyone tell me the difference between a series one and series 2 calais in the VY series. The reason i ask is a good mate of mines son just bought a vy and we are trying to find out if it is a 1 or 2 as he wants to apply for the vicroads exemption to drive it if it is a series 1.

He paid about $5000 more than it was worth i reckon and i am sure the seller was glad to make the sale.

I can't understand why he bought it really as he was told it is a series 2 which he is banned from driving until he is 21 (currently he is 18) he just doesn't seem to care and has the "it won't happen to me attitude" Is this a common thing with youngsters driving cars they are banned from driving?

It has leather seats if that makes a difference?

Ignited-SV6

Sleek and Class
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Series two has drivers electric seat as standard - series 1 didn't. According to Redbook.com.au

Series1:
Redbook
Series2:
Redbook

Mainly a face lift and a change of rim design. Pretty sure your mates son got a series 1 - sounds like it would have been thrashed a fair bit as well.

Last edited:

mmrdb

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 series 3 Monaro & VF V8 Calais V Wagon
The following link will provide details that the series 2 calais had: Holden VY Commodore / Calais.
I do not understand why an 18 yr old would be banned whether its a series 1 or 2? The ban would only apply if it was a v8 or supercharged 6. If its merely a standard ecotec v6, it should not matter. To confirm whether its a series 1 or 2, just refer to the vin number. The last part of the vin ie. 3Lxxxxxx = series 1, 4Lxxxxxx = series 2. x = numeric numbers. Cheers.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
That's definitely a Series 1. You're right about the price - that was way too much for any VY, even a Series 2 isn't worth anything like that. There was nothing changed in the Series 2 which would prevent your mate from driving it, if he was permitted to drive a Series 1. Both models were fitted with V6's as standard and had the V8 option. The V6 engine and transmission remained the same for both models. If the car he bought was a V8, and he is a P plater, that's a different matter.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Apart from being a series 1 or 2, its supercharged (which he cant drive), and its seems its boosted/modified.
He can't legally drive that car and infortunately it seems he also paid wayy too much for it.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Apart from being a series 1 or 2, its supercharged (which he cant drive), and its seems its boosted/modified.
He can't legally drive that car and infortunately it seems he also paid wayy too much for it.

Bugger - you're right - I completely forgot about the S/C. What I couldn't understand about the post was that he could drive a S2 but not a S1. I looked at the pics and didn't think to read the description.

iaydemir

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Berlina
Bugger - you're right - I completely forgot about the S/C. What I couldn't understand about the post was that he could drive a S2 but not a S1. I looked at the pics and didn't think to read the description.

Yer i still dont understand the part about why s1 is ok and s2 isnt ok for a p plater.. *scratches head*

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
Register it in your name and get him an exemption notice.