Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Difficulty starting, sometimes doesn't start

melon

Reaction score
Hi,
Engine VY V6 Ecotec

My car has just started to become gradually more difficult to start. Sometimes it doesn't start and I've had to get a jump.

I checked the battery voltage and it's at 12v. When trying to start you can hear a clicking noise that remains until you turn the key back to the off position.

I'm thinking starter/coil seeing that the battery has the correct voltage.

Any ideas

Also I've noticed that when I turn a corner and accelerate through there seems to be a slight 'doughyness', almost like a miss or something.

Any ideas

Thanks heaps

Melon:thumbsup:

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
is that the standing voltage of the battery? how long after the engine being turned off was the battery checked,

what was the battery voltage when you cranked the motor?

melon

Reaction score
Standing voltage was 12 point something. The engine had been off for about an hour.

I must also add that when I crank the ignition the dash lights come on as well.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
might be your started motor drawing too many amps from the battery.... if you battery is low on cranking amps but still has over 12 volts, it should be replaced and the starter motor current draw should be checked

Skooby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
Sounds like the same problem I have had with past cars.

The starter motor has little brushes inside and when old, start to get a build up of carbon on the brushes and therefore don't make a clean contact, and don't start the car.

Next time if your car won't start, get the handle end of a hammer, and tap the starter motor gently to knock the carbon off the brushes. If your starter motor is the problem, generally that will fix it. So for a few months I would just drive around with a hammer in my car hahah.

Next time your near an auto sparky ask them to have a look at the starter motor. Sometimes it just can't get enough current and only a relay needs to be put in.