Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs, FAQ

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
it possibly would, what would you suggest as it covers more then one section. VN/VP or VR/VS. it's also relevant to the modding V6 section and modding V8's as well. i honestly believe having a dedicated "transmission/driveline/differential" subsection would be best solution

Thats what i was implying. Pretty sure a few years ago i asked for such a section, but they said the general sections they have now were enough.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thats what i was implying. Pretty sure a few years ago i asked for such a section, but they said the general sections they have now were enough.

i did too recently but same result:bang:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, i'm using an 03 GTO (same as VY) diff in my VP

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
how much moding would it take to get a vl diff under a vp?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Why would you want a VL diff? VP diffs are better. If anything, you'd get a newer diff, not an older one.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
how much moding would it take to get a vl diff under a vp?

non, it's a straight swap. the VN grp A had the VL diff as it has a narrower track. all commodore sedans from VB onwards that had the semi-trailing arm setup have the same suspension mounting points so they are all interchangable. unfortunatly the wagons and utes are slightly different and aren't a straight swap.

chinabone2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 2000mdl exec vl berlina
would u guys reccomend 3.7s 3.9s or 4.11 in a auto vt ????????? still do alot of highway drving so dont wan it revin over 3 i guess on the highway

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
If it has 3.08 (or whatever the stock ratio is for VT) then you'll notice a difference with 3.73s.

I have them in my car (using a VY diff, so the same as yours) and its a good middle gear, keeps decent economy, and still has some pick up. DON'T get 4.11s, you'll lose too much top end.

The Harvester

Kickback or Overtake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Senator 215i
Firstly i think this thread rocks but it's a pitty it's stuck in this section as this info will not be used to it's full potential as other users will not know about it. As you said there should be a driveline section to put it into. :)

I want to know if i can put a complete bolt out diff (cradle/frame, arms, diff centre, shafts, hand brake cable) from a VT SI up to a VY SII sedan and bolt it straight into my VS SIII Caprice. I have a Tungsten 98 VS Caprice Super and have just fitted brand new 18in WM Caprice alloys and tyres. I have a full set of genuine HSV brakes front and rear from a VX that i want to fit but apparently there are issues with the hand brake if i want them to go on my VS so i figured if i use a complete sedan diff from a VT SI upto VY SII this will get me out of trouble but i don't know if this is going to work. I am in the process of slightly lowering the car but before i do this i want to find this out so i can get the job done all at the same time.

If the diff from a later model bolts straight in will my tail shaft bolt straight up to the diff and will i need a later model hand brake cable. If it needs a later model hand brake cable will it need to be modified anywhere on the mounts on the underbody floor or modified at the hand brake lever.

Obviously the later the model diff i get will be better than an earlier one but will a later model diff say from VX SII onwards be the way to go as i have been told that the VX SII has adjustable sections for toe in and camber etc. Is there any extra benifits of fitting a VY SI or SII over a VX SII. :driving: