Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs, FAQ

mrsvr88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
getting my diff reconditioned and I'm curious if I need to wear it in afterwards?? I need to go on a 12hr drive a few days after getting it done, is it safe to drive it a long distance straight after?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Best to talk to the person who is doing the rebuild. It should be fine however, the last time I had a diff rebuilt the instructions where to do 2 turns at full lock each way (to work oil into the LSD cones) and then let rip, these instructions were followed closely :driving:

For those kiwi's that are familiar with the driveway at Steelie gears, most cars depart there leaving twin black stripes up the steep driveway with the tail swinging :D

Last edited:

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
Hi can someone please confirm that the VYII V6 Calais has a BW80 diff? I think I am reading the OP right but would like to have that confirmed

cheers guys

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VT s2 BW 80, 3.07:1 (auto) 3.46:1 (manual) LS1 and L67 models, V6 models continued with the BW 78

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Probably best to climb under the car and double check the label on the side off the diff as Holden started to make a fair few changes in the later model cars.

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
VT s2 BW 80, 3.07:1 (auto) 3.46:1 (manual) LS1 and L67 models, V6 models continued with the BW 78

No help whatsoever. If you know the answer why don't you just say it? The sentence you bolded is the very sentence that confused me as it directly contradicts the sentence a few lines above it:
VT series 2 onwards they fitted the BW80 diff, which has a larger crown wheel and pinion, and also different ratios. Parts from these are not interchangeable with the earlier BW78.
I just wanted someone to say "Yeah, all models from VTII onwards had bw80" or "No, the v6 models still have the bw78". Not bolding a sentence I've already read.

Probably best to climb under the car and double check the label on the side off the diff as Holden started to make a fair few changes in the later model cars.

Thanks mate, I will.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
No help whatsoever. If you know the answer why don't you just say it? The sentence you bolded is the very sentence that confused me as it directly contradicts the sentence a few lines above it:

Calm down mate, It was just easier for me to copy/paste rather than write again at the time. Not everbody is out to attack you, remember that next time before you have a whinge. If you think it's conflicting info, ask again if you didn't like my response. Apologies it wasn't to your standard.

If you're looking to replace with a complete housing, the entire M80 housing bolts in.

ITOONS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V8
Calm down mate, It was just easier for me to copy/paste rather than write again at the time. Not everbody is out to attack you, remember that next time before you have a whinge. If you think it's conflicting info, ask again if you didn't like my response. Apologies it wasn't to your standard.

If you're looking to replace with a complete housing, the entire M80 housing bolts in.

I could say the same to you mate, I was only pointing out why your answer wasn't helpful to me. At no point did I think you were attacking me lol. Anyway, sorry if I offended you and thanks for the clarification.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
So no chance a vx lsd centre will go into a m78 vl housing. From looking at both centres side by side they are very similar in dimensions except for the boltup face of the crownwheel.
It looks somewhere near 3/16 difference between housing crownwheel positions. No one has tried to add a spacer behind the crown wheel to put it into the right position or is there some other housing conflict?

Last edited: