Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs, FAQ

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i think your best bet is to have a look under a later model VT/VX/VY and see how the handbrake assembly is setup/works etc. as for the brake conversion, it's the actual hubs that would need changing to suit the later model brakes. unfortunatly i can't give a answer on that one as i'm not familiar with the differences in the hubs.

the best person to speak to would be STEALTHY as he has the later model diff in his VP so would most likely know everything that was swapped to make it work including any mods to his hubs/brakes

The Harvester

Kickback or Overtake
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV Senator 215i
I have had a look at the arm setup on my VS and thought that a hub change over should do the job but then i was told it is an expensive process due to the hub needing to be pressed out and with certainty the bearing will be damaged and need replacing. So my answer to this would be to get hold of a pair of VT control arms with the hub already fitted and replace them with my VS control arms but will the VT control arms bolt straight up to the VS cradle/frame??

I would prefer to change the whole diff to a later model as i could put in an LSD from an SS or HSV Clubby and such but which ever way works would be better than nothing as long as the brakes can be fitted safely.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I have had a look at the arm setup on my VS and thought that a hub change over should do the job but then i was told it is an expensive process due to the hub needing to be pressed out and with certainty the bearing will be damaged and need replacing. So my answer to this would be to get hold of a pair of VT control arms with the hub already fitted and replace them with my VS control arms but will the VT control arms bolt straight up to the VS cradle/frame??

I thought that i'd ask in my first reply about changing the whole diff because i quickly read that stealthy fitted a GTO diff into his VP which i think is quite original and awesome and it got me excited to think that hopefully there isn't too much mucking around to bolt a complete later model diff in because getting the parts are no problem as a good friend of mine owns a wrecking yard for late model Holdens.

I would prefer to change the whole diff to a later model as i could put in an LSD from an SS or HSV Clubby and such but which ever way works would be better than nothing as long as the brakes can be fitted safely.

honestly mate, if you have good access to parts, get one from each and put em side by side and see if it will fit. i know the diff will definitly fit. it's the control arm/hub asembly thats the the problem in regards to fitting the later model brakes. as for the LSD, it's the same design as the BW78 so there is no advantage there really. what ever you find out, post it here and i'll update the original thread with what you find out to make it easier for the next bloke (if you don't mind that is)

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
Does anyone know about 7.5" and 8" BW80's, I just found out there are different sizes, trying to change the gears in mine and its getting complicated

Apparently the V8 use's 8" gears and center and the V6 use's a 7.5" centre and there not compatible, makes buying a set of gears difficult, also it appears that VZ V6 cant be mini spooled

Hopfully someone here can shed some light on all this :bow:

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
If the VZ comes stock with an LSD, it can't be spooled.

VP-VSs IRS are the 7.5in

VT onwards are 8in (i thought it was 8.25, but it might just be 8)

Kung-Foo-Kamel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Custom Hilux with a V6 Ecotec
If the VZ comes stock with an LSD, it can't be spooled.

VP-VSs IRS are the 7.5in

VT onwards are 8in (i thought it was 8.25, but it might just be 8)

No there not all LSD's, mine isnt

I went to buy some gears from Driveline online and there not compatible with the V6 Diff "Apparently"

Can anyone help out here, I just want to buy a set of gears but just need to know for sure whats what, I was under the impression that all VY and Vz used a BW80 and they were all the same, now Im told there is a 7.5" and a 8" centre, obviesly a 8" gear wont fit on a 7.5" centre

Is there some way of finding out what I have exactly by the numbers on the side casing

I know its a open Centre with a Ratio of 2.78, it has a label that says "Hi Performance" (Yeh whatever)

Any help would be good

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Probably best to PM immortality, that way he'll get an email and know to check on here.

He'll know for sure.

As i said, VP-VS are definantly 7.5in, and i thought the VT onwards were the 8in ones.

nick_

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II V6
AFAIK, the V8's and S/C V6's have the BW80 ('open' and LSD 3.07,3.46,etc) 'Open' BW80's have shotpeened gears..?
I don't know if this will help, but my VY2 Exec' (V6) has a 3.08 single spinner..
Pretty sure it's one of these..? (see below) Although, mine has the rubber donut between the diff and the tailshaft..

VT s1 BW 78, 4-spider center, 28spline axles, 3.08:1 open and LSD (same as VN-VS)

-Nick.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You will need the 8 inch gears from a super 6 or ls1. The NA 6 is a smaller diff (I think 7.5 inch is right), the early diff on the VN-VT S1) is 7.8 inch