Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diffs, FAQ

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I'd steer clear of getting pedders to work on the car. By all means purchase what you have to from them.

Just go to any diff builder. It should cost $600 supplied AND fitted for the gears and a spool.

$550 just to fit gears is way too much.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VS Clubsport, VP Wagon Daily
Just a bit of a side note, i went hunting for some 3.72s at the wreckers on the weekend.
I have been told that the manuals had the 3.7's and autos had the 3.9s from the R31 skylines....
This however was not correct... there was about 10 skylines there... all of which had 3.9s, 2 of which were manual.

I have also been told they are only in the silhouette models, so i would say there is some truth to this.

And can anyone give me a rough quote on just swapping the gears in an IRS diff if i supply the diff (out of the car) and the gears....
I rang one bloke, and he said $400.... i nearly told him to eat a dick.

XRUFFX

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VT II LS1
yeah Wagon_Wheel if u read my previous post, i had one guy quote me $550 to put the gears (i alreadi have) into my irs diff...got my bf to ring round a bit nd we found a diff place that said theyd fit the gears PLUS a spool for $330...so...yeah, if that helps... =S

yeah i got the two email quotes confused, didnt mean to say pedders lol!...a diff joint by the name of pdr (u can c where i got confused pdr/pedders) nd theyr guna throw in the diff gears nd spool for $330...does that sound decent?
yeah i kinda had to pik my jaw up off the ground wen i got told that...i aint a diff expert but, i cant imagine wat he could possibly be doing that would equate to $550's worth of my pennys...also, this mite b a stupid question, but is it easier/cheaper to give them the car, or take the diff out nd give that to em?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
WW - $400 is the absolute max you'd want to pay if your supplying everything, and you'd want the turnaround to be less than a day for that price.

Obviously its easier for them if the diff is out of the car. The removal process is probably whats costing you the most in labour.

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stealthy... that is with the diff OUT OF THE CAR..... and me supplying everything!!
Gonna ring a joint in a minute.

XRUFFX

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VT II LS1
so stealthy...is that kinda a way of saying im being over charged still?
WW do u nd i live round the same place? cos we both seemed to b getting ript lol

Wagon_Wheel

Drop A Patch....
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hahaha yeah mate, you are on the other side of the bay to me! Must be the close to the water thing...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Just a bit of a side note, i went hunting for some 3.72s at the wreckers on the weekend.
I have been told that the manuals had the 3.7's and autos had the 3.9s from the R31 skylines....
This however was not correct... there was about 10 skylines there... all of which had 3.9s, 2 of which were manual.

I have also been told they are only in the silhouette models, so i would say there is some truth to this.

And can anyone give me a rough quote on just swapping the gears in an IRS diff if i supply the diff (out of the car) and the gears....
I rang one bloke, and he said $400.... i nearly told him to eat a dick.

If you are still looking, there is a guy in Mordialloc who quoted me $300 (ish) to replace bearings in my IRS and specializes in diffs & boxes. PM me for his address/number if you are interested. I'm sure he will probably appreciate it if you sucked his dick but don't think it will be necessary.

Reaper

bad-blue-dog

LIVE HARD, DIE HAPPY
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II CROSS 8 CREWMAN,VZ SS 5.7L,VP V6 Drag Racer
Hi. I'm a newby here. But I wish I had read this a couple of weeks ago, would have saved me about 50 phone calls.
Some of you guys seem to be getting ripped off big time. I bought a complette 4.11 diff off a wrecker for $88 in mint condition. I had the 4.11s put into my VP IRS for the price of a slab of beer by a qualified mechanic on his day off.
I guess sometimes you can get lucky.