Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Digital Time Switch

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Hey guys/electrical guru's,

I'm trying find a wall mountable digital time switch to run my outdoor LED downlights (total of 11) so that at a certain time of night (say 5pm) they come on and stay on illuminating my home in my very dark street until another set time (10:30pm)
This is proving to be a difficult challenge as there quite a few requirements that I need:

1) Must be wall mount, inside the home - next to the front door - So Din rail is out - Unless there's one that talks to a inside module/wall plate over cat 6 or similar.
2) User Friendly - A LCD screen telling me whats going on would be nice, so would a back light on said screen.
3) I'd like to have it tied into my sensor light outside of the programmed time, so if I come home while its still dark - the lights will still activate and I can see down my damn driveway.
4) Over ride function, I'd also like the ability to turn it on/off during and outside of timed hours, say if there was a party and I want the lights on until after midnight, or I just want them off.
5) I'd like it to match the Clipsal 2000 series plates already all over the house, but its not a requirement.

I've had a look at the Legrand EC923TWE here - Time Delay Switches
Because a work mate has one installed at his place, however there is no back light function and the connected lights will not work outside of the pre programmed hours. Apparently according to the electricians I've spoken to, before their eyes glaze over with no idea about what I want, a sensor light cannot be in the same circuit as one of these timers. I was under the impression that without a dimmer (there isn't) this should be able to be accomplished.(happy to be told different however)

HPM "had" a similar product, The HPM Flush Switch with Timer - P/no: HPMXL770THWE - But it seems its been either discontinued or sold out. Not sure if this product would have suited though, cannot find much about it.

So, is there a way to accomplish all this? Without installing cBus/Home Automation all over the damn house?

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
So, to bump/update this, I've bought the HPM switch - ElectricalXpress > Information > Clipsal Switches | C2000 | 2000 Series | Saturn Switches |Excel |HPM > Sunset Switches | Time Delay Switches | Timers > XL770THWE
Just waiting on it to arrive and then have electrician install it. Decided on this since its supposed to have a back light and it "should" be what I require :p

Shall post results when it arrives/installed if anyone's interested.

-Slightly annoyed its a HPM plate, when I've just gone all around the house and replaced all the 80's spec HPM stuff with Clipsal 2000 series. Ah well.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
sounds like you found what you were looking for.
Didn't post up but was pondering over this and how the system would be drawn up so that it would all work as required. without going into some complex system.

will be interesting to see how you program it.
will also be interesting to see if it has a back up system incase power goes out and what happens there.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Yeah, was researching several items, and being really annoyed that they have what I needed in America in abundance :(
Really struggled finding a 240 Volt AC wall mount to suit my purpose. Was really hoping I wasn't just asking for the impossible.

The HPM one, supposedly has an internal battery, and under the cover, is all the programming buttons - at least thats what I could find on an old set of PDF instructions I found on the net.
It'll be easy to wire in, as its "designed" to replace a standard switch, but has the smarts to do what I want and more.
Problem was, no one in Melbourne had one in stock. So I've gambled $130 to see if this one works....

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
HPM switch arrived today, photos below.
-Internal battery? - Check
-Easy install? - Check
-Electrician booked? - Check, also must remember - need more beer, before he drinks it all.

Cover on:

Cover off:

Shall post installed pics when its installed, won't be this weekend - have a wedding to addend.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
looks the goods.
Cheers for the photos as well, good to see how it looks.