Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/ / / Dijm8's Subaru Impreza

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Wow, I wish I could tell how a car handled by just looking at it.

The camber is not excessive, the guards aren't scraping the wheels, good choice of coilovers, tyre stretch eliminates sidewall roll, good width and track of tyres. The only things missing are spring rates because I don't know what they are, sway bars and castor arms.

If those make a car handle worse than stock you had better tell every competition car based on a road going chassis that they've been doing it wrong and should revert to stock.

They are pretty bare bones items in the import world.

Better yet, how would you get this car to handle better?

Ditch the camber crap, get rid of the stretched tyres, put smaller rims with 40 profile sticky tyres that fit the rim properly, bigger brakes, stiffen the chassis up, play around with roll bars and spring rates, decent shocks, install decent LSD centers, lower diff ratios, I'd have bought the turbo model.
Take it out to a proper track and tinker with the settings until the times are good.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
I'm not a fan of the camber, but I'm loving the look of it slammed.
Like the front lip too.

If the op likes it, good enough for me. Beats looking at the same modifications on different commodores any day.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Ditch the camber crap, get rid of the stretched tyres, put smaller rims with 40 profile sticky tyres that fit the rim properly, bigger brakes, stiffen the chassis up, play around with roll bars and spring rates, decent shocks, install decent LSD centers, lower diff ratios, I'd have bought the turbo model.
Take it out to a proper track and tinker with the settings until the times are good.

Its a good thing he didnt buy it to track it!!

People modify their cars fir different reasons. Why put a supercharger on a street car? Because you can!!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
The camber is not excessive,

it is. even visually its too much. its perfect for rolling corners, but driving in a straight line down a normal road will be an arse.

but whatevs, each to their own, personally i like my rears to be almost straight up. maaaaybe 2 degrees. but like you say its his car.

also, the look of the visors, not so much, but as a smoker, they are super-awesome for smoking and not getting rain all over your window switches/arm

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
maybe its the camera angle, maybe its the road surface, but to me thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much:

9333473046_b14d1b7fb6_b.jpg

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14

So your advice is to buy some non specific parts, take it to a track and "play around with it". That's the best advice you can give? You're also missing castor.

Brakes are irrelevant for handling. Turbo is irrelevant for handling. Diff ratios are irrelevant for handling. Stiffen chassis up? This is a road car.

How much camber would you run then? What shock would you run that's better than a Cusco? The wheels are sooooo huge at a massive 18" and are already running 215/40 tyres.

You make it sound like ANY camber makes a car handle badly. How much do you think this car is running?

I really don't get your reasoning. You've said that the camber is crap and the stretched tyres suck, but haven't provided any reason or insight as to why they suck. Like anything, if you take it to extremes it will handle horribly, but this car is nowhere near those. Anywhere past neg 6 camber is questionable unless you really know your stuff, same for the tyres. I run similar stretch to this on my S14 with old 225/45 595s with 8.5 and 9.5 stagger on 17's and it handles fine, no sidewall roll, no loss of grip and similar camber up front. This setup is also run with at least and extra 9mm or 10mm of track up front. 19's are the absolute limit, once you start to get to that point you loose acceleration and handling partially caused by the rubber band tyres you have to run.

We ran a similar setup with narrower wheels for our matsuri R33 (although it was just like that when we bought it, stock camber).

The setup that dijm has is pretty a pretty basic setup for what any drifter or gripper would run.

So what do you have in the way of handling mods and geometry?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
it is. even visually its too much. its perfect for rolling corners, but driving in a straight line down a normal road will be an arse.

You're talking to somebody that drives an S14, I guess I just mean relative to all the other drift hacks I hang around all the time. :p

Still not as much as an S1 VT. :p

maybe its the camera angle, maybe its the road surface, but to me thats waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much:

I honestly think it's just because the back of the car is really flat and tall, or because of the bumper styling. It looks like he's running the same level of camber up front and it looks fine.

Different perspective:
I actually think it's because of the way the bumper tapers off as it goes down the sides that give it the perspective of having demon camber. The angle the other photo was at just put more emphasis on it. Photo choices and angles probably weren't the best.

This car is actually running less camber than I thought.

9333575058_0377d109c5_h.jpg

9333391426_0075351918_h.jpg

9333458148_b35a368d85_h.jpg

Last edited:

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
R_J_K I'm not going to bother responding to you mate. Our opinions on cars are clearly on different levels.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
R_J_K I'm not going to bother responding to you mate. Our opinions on cars are clearly on different levels.

At least I know my car and this car handles well.